to rebuild a Zf5 or not?????

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I posted earlier about white smoke upon acceleration, I forgot to mention the Transmission, It is really noisey, almost impossible to get into reverse and it really doesnt like to shift from gear to gear, I can get a full rebuild kit for 400.00 with syncros but I am not sure if that is the way to go or not, I have a T-18 with a diesel bell and also Darrin is storing a c6 that mel gave to me (Havent had time to pick it up yet)....I realize the zf is nice with the closer gear ratios and o/d, The C6 is nice just because its auto, and the T-18 is nice because its bulletproof, The onlly trans that doesnt have to be rebuilt is the t-18, what would you guys do? Thanks -Brad-

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if it's a T19 i'd go with that. dunno about the T18 it might not have the right first gear.

but truthfully if your losing OD anyway i'd probably choose the C6. screw the ZF5, i never drove one that shifted nicely.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is a t18 because 1st gear isnt syncronized, I think the 19 has a syncro 1st gear, I was leaning torwards the C6 myself.-Brad-

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my C6 but the RPMs do get very high at above 65-70mph. What gear ratio do you have? If its 3.55s/3.54 the C6 will be OK. If it was me, I'd probably throw in the 4-speed. I think the T19 diesel transmission for diesels has a non synchronized reverse. I have no knowledge of any T18 diesel trnasmissions being used behind the 6.9, maybe in an IH scout behind the Nissan diesel but not in a Ford. That would be a different bellhousing SAE#3 to be precise.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you're going to have to rebuild that C6 too. Although the parts for it may be cheaper than the ZF. You'd still need an automatic rad and some plumbing and a steering column. I'd rebuild the ZF. Definitely prefer the T-19, but overdrive is a valueable commodity on these trucks. There is no real fuel economy without it.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
very true about the fuel economy. depends how you use the truck. if you stay off the highway you wont miss the OD. if you commute with the truck you may regret downgrading to a 1:1 top gear.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
ZF 5 Transmission rebuild kits

cookoo I see ZF5 rebuld kits on Ebay for $300 to $325 including syncro rings. Any body know if these kits are any good? I just bought a 1988 F-350 7.3 4X4 for the ZF5, 13-56 transfer case and the Dana 60. I would like to rebuild them all. Which is a better case, a 13-45 or a 13-56? The Dana 60 is a regular 4.10 and I need a 354 limited slip. The engine seams to run ok but I have no use for it. Any Idea's
Thank's Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online