To Moose or not to Moose that is my question

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Baby Moose? Full Moose? screw that.......
SUPER MOOSE!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, you'd blow your engine up with that. My vote is Moose. I'd rather have the power potential and not need it, than need the power in the future and not have it.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote Full Moose as well, always better to have the capability and not need it than need it and not have it, you can regulate the smoke with a well trained right foot.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Black smoke is controlled very easily by your right foot.

fuel availability is one of those things.... nice to have more than you need. You don't HAVE to use it. I have no knowledge of baby moose, but the moose pump I picked up 1-2mpg's on average.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... There you have it.. The Moose Pump gives you more horse power and... More miles per gallon. Now why couldn't international do that back when they designed these engines.....:dunno

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Without studs a baby moose would be the smart/economic choice.

Putting a baby moose on is like putting a 650 carb on a 351.
Putting a mosse pump on is like putting a 750 on.(a complete waste)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Putting a baby moose on is like putting a 650 carb on a 351.
Putting a moose pump on is like putting a 750 on.(a complete waste)

Yeah, but I can tune a 750 to act smaller on an engine it is too big for.... you cannot tune a 650 to act bigger on an engine it is too restrictive on. If I had a choice I would always without a doubt choose a 750 with screw in air bleeds.

My combo is very low boost (maybe 10 max useful boost) and the moose pump is certainly not overkill. A bigger turbo would be awesome, as I run out of air long before I run out of fuel. that is a good situation to be in.... much nicer than running out of fuel with a turbo that is at 75%

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yeah, but I can tune a 750 to act smaller on an engine it is too big for.... you cannot tune a 650 to act bigger on an engine it is too restrictive on. If I had a choice I would always without a doubt choose a 750 with screw in air bleeds.

My combo is very low boost (maybe 10 max useful boost) and the moose pump is certainly not overkill. A bigger turbo would be awesome, as I run out of air long before I run out of fuel. that is a good situation to be in.... much nicer than running out of fuel with a turbo that is at 75%

Now i think the complete opposite. I run a 750 on a 429 and it runs just fine(even have room for more if needed)

A baby moose will out fuel a stock turbo, so there is no need to put a moose pump on, and over fuel it even further. On top of he hardly tows or runs it hard.

i say save your $$ and your fuel and get a baby moose

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the prices are very close to the same.
Excess is better than a lack in this case unless he is completely satisfied with his current power level. A baby moose is just a stock rebuild....

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
ok, you win.

so which one of your trucks has either of these pumps?

Neither, but my brothers 92 has a Hypermax turbo and it is turned 1 flat on a stock pump and it is still getting too much fuel. THERE IS NO NEED FOR A MOOSE pump for the OP or most of the turboed 6.9/7.3s out there

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't race and you don't sled pull,a Baby MOOSE has more than enough juice for anything your stock turbo can throw at it. It comes to you over fueling anyway- why do you need to waste even more fuel? You rich or something??? Smoke aint macho, smoke is a joke.

But Mel, if it was COMPLETELY burned in the engine, wouldn't it make more power? If so, I'd judge smoke to be (at least partially) wasted fuel. So I'm with Gus on this, smoke is for show. Correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, a big thank you for all you do to moderate here, provide info, and otherwise support the OB community (e.g. via provision of parts, rally organization, and so forth). Its a lot of work and we all appreciate it.

Regards,

Unburnt fuel as I have been told, will also take heat with it. IE pulling tractors, trucks ect, will over fuel to cool the egts, and I have see dozens of AC, Gleaner and Massy farm equipment rolling coal all day long, and that is how they were set from the factory. Its how us green boys would keep track of were the neighbors were!:Thumbs Up:rotflmao

Oh and I just sent my pump to Mel to get full Moose treatment, but I do pull goosenecks that get over loaded.

Matthew

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From what I understand the prices are very close to the same.
Excess is better than a lack in this case unless he is completely satisfied with his current power level. A baby moose is just a stock rebuild....

Well your kinda correct but. What happens in the Baby Moose is differant from any other "stock rebuilt injection pump"... I would put Mels builders work up against any reputable rebuilder out there. I know the Moose Products will come out on top. As I have posted many times before. I have had two Moose pumps and my next pump will be the Baby Moose. I will dyno both on my engine before I install one of my Hypermax intercoolers. That way we will have the best of what most members will be running. Then as time and money allow I will dyno with the intercooler on both pumps. Anyone want to donate those small green pieces of paper in the purses or pockets. Just a couple of giggly room greenys will do fine...LOL:sly:D:angel: