Tires

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
I put 305/70/16 Dunlop Mud Rovers on my truck about 3 months ago. I like the tires but my fuel milleage has dropped off. I had a set of 305 cooper discoverys before these and they seemed to do better on fuel. Add that with the noise factor and I'm ready for street tires. I have been driving a lot more on the interstate and I think I'm going to buy a factory size tire with a non aggressive tread pattern. In town the dunlops aren't that bad, but at 90 you need ear plugs. What tires have yall had good luck with cause I'm selling these ********.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've run BF Goodrich on both of my last two trucks. All Terrain KO's. They are an excellent tire IMHO. 235/75/16's

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Have you had any problems with the BF Goodrich AT's chunking (chunks falling out of the tread blocks)? I had a set of 35's on a F150 and i seem to be the only person that has had a problem like this, maybe i got a bum set, or just used the go pedal to much? Other than that problem I did like them they was nice and quiet and still pulled pretty decent. Do they handle heavy loads pretty good, I'm hooked to a trailer a lot, about the heaviest thing I pulled with the F150 with these tires was my bass boat.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem like you describe with losing chunks of tread, and I drive a substantial amount of gravel roads. I pull a 26' Nash travel trailer which is about 9,000 lbs or so loaded and they handle that well also.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Originally posted by jlayne
Have you had any problems with the BF Goodrich AT's chunking (chunks falling out of the tread blocks)? I had a set of 35's on a F150 and i seem to be the only person that has had a problem like this, maybe i got a bum set, or just used the go pedal to much?

jlayne,

Were the tires that chunked on you sipped?

Tom

Last edited:

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
I had 285 BFG/MT's that were sipped & got over 45K miles out of them & they never chunked. Sipping was the best thing I ever did with those tires.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ramprat
I had 285 BFG/MT's that were sipped & got over 45K miles out of them & they never chunked. Sipping was the best thing I ever did with those tires.

I totally agree! The tires I am running now are sipped (SP).

But, I was told that sipping and large rocks will cause chunking.

For what it is worth,

Tom

2500cummins

Reaction score
I have a set of 295/75/16 BFG TA KO's, they are not siped, and they are chunking quite bad, I do a lot of high speed driving, sliding, tire spinning, ect. on gravel roads so some is to be expected but these are noticably worse than other brands I have run on this truck.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2500cummins
I have a set of 295/75/16 BFG TA KO's, they are not siped, and they are chunking quite bad, I do a lot of high speed driving, sliding, tire spinning, ect. on gravel roads so some is to be expected but these are noticably worse than other brands I have run on this truck.

Hummmmm, I'm running the same tires & last time I looked there were no chunking of any kind:confused:

Guess I better look again eh:D

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
They wasn't sipped.. I don't know what the deal was with that set... but at the price they sell for it makes me gun shy at trying another set. I drove pretty fast with them but never really spun them over on the road much, but I did wheel that truck off road a lot. By the time I got rid of those tires they have chunks nearly the size of my thumb.. mostly all on the tread row one in from the outside. Now on the other hand a buddy of mine had a set on a PSD and was tickled pink with them so who knows what the deal was?

I was looking online at tires and I think I have narrowed my search down to BFG KO/ATs or another set of cooper discovery AT's (probably the BFGs , but if they chunk I'm going to have to write a nastygram to BF Goodrich).. just wanted to see what yall was running, Thanks.

2500cummins

Reaction score
In defense of the BFG's even with the chunks out of the tread (some as large as a dime) it looks like they will out last the Cooper A/T's I ran before, and better traction than the Coopers on most, if not all surfaces.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Originally posted by jlayne
Have you had any problems with the BF Goodrich At's chunking (chunks falling out of the tread blocks)?
I"ve had three set's on my present truck, all BFG/AT 295/75R16 and they were excellent tires and good looking too except they suck in the snow! Then I went to a Wild Country TXR LT315/75R-16 D and man, was I ever sorry! They were the worse tires I've ever owned. Finally back to the BFG. but this time , BFG/MT 315/75R16 on American Racing Outlaw II 16x10 alloy wheels. Much better all around tire. Better for snow plowing, off road and OK on the highway, but I don't drive 90 MPH either! And they look just as good as the BFG/AT's. Best I ever did on the AT's was 40K, and I rotated the tires at every oil change. Only draw back, the BFG's are a little pricey. While maybe not as good, Dunlops and Pro Comp tires are less expensive. Just my opinion.

LMD

treefidy

Reaction score
i am running the master crafts at's in a 285/75/r16, i tell ya i looked every where for a truck tire that had a waranty and road hazard and hardly any manufac had this, i love these tires, they werent to expensive and hardly make any noise plus the fact that they have a 50,000 mile waranty! cant beat that

ibsmurf

I be a Injunear....
Reaction score
I've got about 8000 miles on a set of Yokahama Geolandar ATs. They've worn very well so far. My only complaint is that I could only get them in a Load Range D, so they sometimes feel a little mushy from side loading.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I have a set of 33/12.5/15 BFG AT KO, not sipped and no chunking, most of the road surface that it sees now is stone, but it doesn't get driven much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online