Tires and Lift Kit

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due for a new set of tires and I'm pretty much set on the TSR 315/75-16. Based on my research it looks like I'm headed for 4" lift due to clearance reasons, and I've looked at adding blocks in the back and a bracket in the front. Any opinions about whether I should buy a kit or piece it together with individual parts and maybe salvage springs added up front. Any concensus about who has the best quality kits/parts based on experience.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I've lost track of who even still offers a kit. Do they exist? My 4" lift on the Moose Truck was by Burbank Suspension, and they have been gone for decades. LOL

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuff Country makes a kit with brackets, add-a-leaf front, rear spring packs, blocks, bushings and U-bolts for $1050. That would put the whole deal at $2000. Otherwise, get brackets and blocks which I can buy separately, and find salvage springs. I just want it to be right when I'm done.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rough Country Kit is basically the same without the rear spring packs.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
A RSK on the front will improve ride quality greatly. While you are doing the RSK, move the rear perch back an inch and a half. This will allow for an even better ride when you use 99-04 front leaf packs. Stock V code leave will net you 2-3" of lift. A 4" superduty lift pack will net you 7" of lift. A stock pack with an add a leaf will get you 4-5", just about where you want to be.;Sweet I thought I heard this will work with TTB fronts as long as you use the drop bracket for the inner pivots, can't guarentee that though

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/ne...27&PHPSESSID=008b43a4c214f9b3c48f3674a8cce83c

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=47

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just now finishing installing the Rough Country 4" kit. It looked to be made well, very thorough on the parts. The only real issues were they came with grade 5 bolts for the support between the pivot brackets (replaced with grade 8 ;Sweet), and the u-bolts front and rear were very long. Maybe they were for both the 4" and 6" kits? I had to cut them down after the install. I didn't like the fact it had blocks for the rear, but they were angled to keep the u-joints aligned and the whole kit went in well.

I had the passenger pivot bracket mount break 2 of the bolt holes and shear 1 bolt clean off. it was "squatting" very bad in reverse and had a thumping noise. I got under and found the problem. I priced out parts and found it was only about $200 more for the 4" lift so I went for it. I did the pivot bushings (pain in the neck, but very needed) and upper shackle bushings while it was apart. Should finish it tomorrow, get an alignment, then all set.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift is over rated, you only need a few sheet metal blades for the saw-z-all and a lack of care for fenders. Seriously though, kits are made by Rough country, Tuff Country, BDS (lift time warranty), Sky Jacker, and a few others. BDS and Sky Jacker are the more expensive brands but the quality seems to follow the price of the kits. One thing to be sure you do not do is to stack blocks on blocks, also blocks on the front are pretty spooky, If you lift the front 4" you will need to drop the pivot points and possibly get a drop pit man arm to keep the steering geometry.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Actually most trucks will hold 36 inch tires without a lift and yes you can still drive them just fine, my 86 has had them, my 89 i sold to my buddy still has them they fit just fine and dandy, as long aS your springs arent junk you will be fine

kowalskijon

Reaction score
I just pulled the lift off my new to me 85' F250.

Its not pretty, drop brackets were welded on. If you have a grinder they will clean up just fine. also, you will need to find bolts/nuts/ubolts etc etc...

It was either a 4" or 6", not really sure. Truck had 35's on it. If you can measure your stock drop brackets ill measure these and that should tell you.

Ill sell it to ya if you want! much much cheaper than $600... I have the drop brackets, blocks, drop pitman arm, front leafs. im sure you can find u bolts somewhere local as well as the other odds and ends.

If your interested, PM me an email address and ill shoot you some pics of exactly what I have and we can figure out what lift it is.