Tire choices

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@austin92

Give them a call:

https://www.rileyparktire.com/

317-462-4421

This is where my last several sets have come from. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. Tell them what you have now, and what’s it’s doing and they should be able to give you some guidance.

I am in no way associated with them, other than being a satisfied customer....
Oh wow, I didn’t realize how close you were to me. We’ll have to drink a beer sometime. I may call that place if I can’t get anywhere with this next set of tires.

I think I found the issue when I went to tire barn yesterday. The toyos I hated were 2 ply/10 ply rated. Bfg’s were 3 ply/10 ply rated, solid sidewall but only lasted 38k miles. General grabbers are 2 ply like the toyos. So I’m thinking I need to stick to 3 ply sidewalls which tire barn said is probably more equivalent to a 12ply bias. Makes sense to me

With all that said, the Goodyear a/t adventure mentioned earlier in this thread meets my criteria. 3 peak snow flake rating, all terrain, name brand, and although petty white lettering lol. The Kevlar is the 3rd ply and they’re rated for 60k miles. They’re a little over 300$ more than the general grabbers though. Should have them on next weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally called that! Haha it was just a theory but let's hope it sticks.

Also my earlier comment about the Dynapros having noticeable lateral sway is comparing them mostly to cheap M/S studded tires that I pull the studs out of. That's what I've run the most on my pickup. They are cheap on craigslist and usually mounted already, but stiff rubber and without the studs would be worthless on the ice(being cheap means hard rubber). Compared to those goodyear tripple tread they are stiffer.
I also run my air pressures for optimal tire wear, meaning about 55psi up front 40 rear unloaded.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally called that! Haha it was just a theory but let's hope it sticks.

Also my earlier comment about the Dynapros having noticeable lateral sway is comparing them mostly to cheap M/S studded tires that I pull the studs out of. That's what I've run the most on my pickup. They are cheap on craigslist and usually mounted already, but stiff rubber and without the studs would be worthless on the ice(being cheap means hard rubber). Compared to those goodyear tripple tread they are stiffer.
I also run my air pressures for optimal tire wear, meaning about 55psi up front 40 rear unloaded.
I hope it does too. Why isn’t this subject more talked about? Do people just deal with the crappy 2ply sidewalls? I see people on here with truck that weigh twice what my truck does and never complain about tires

I don’t understand why load range c geolanders felt firm on my 4500lb jeep but load range e’s sway on your truck. Tire quality just going downhill?

I ran 30psi rear, 40 front with the bfg’s and they still wore more in the center

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both tires at 45 psi

Front Yokohama 245s
3 ply poly sidewall E rated
You must be registered for see images attach

Rear chinesium 285s
2 ply poly sidewall E rated

I’m happy with both tires for what I spent on them. The fronts tend to bulge more but I thinks that’s due to them being narrower.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Dynapro's I went out and checked and they are 3ply sidewalls for sure. So maybe it's just me! They are good tires. Mine wore out really fast but I didnt give them a fair shot as I had an improperly installed lower ball joint and sticking caliper, which tore up the front right tire for a while during busy season... I just rotated them that year till I could get after it. And even after the caliper was fixed I didnt realize the ball joint was wonky till the bad wear came back again.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I hope it does too. Why isn’t this subject more talked about? Do people just deal with the crappy 2ply sidewalls? I see people on here with truck that weigh twice what my truck does and never complain about tires

My F250HD (HD=1 ton rear, more leaf springs) with these 2ply sidewall off brand Chinese A/Ts have done me fine, even pulling a 27ft travel trailer without weight distribution. I had a fair bit in the bed too. I ran the rear tires at 80PSI and they did fine.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pictures of my front tires havent changed them since July n the truck is parked for the moment. Also got a higj price qoute on those 315 tires that @Kevo1288 has dude tire shop told me.$1250 balanced/set on just a.set of 4 pretty sure that's high. I've had both inner/butter tie rods replaced drag link as well alignment done n the wear patter is odd.

^ driver's side

^passeger side

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pictures of my front tires havent changed them since July n the truck is parked for the moment. Also got a higj price qoute on those 315 tires that @Kevo1288 has dude tire shop told me.$1250 balanced/set on just a.set of 4 pretty sure that's high. I've had both inner/butter tie rods replaced drag link as well alignment done n the wear patter is odd.

^ driver's side

^passeger side

Hard for me to tell in those pics but they look like they wore pretty even to me. I don't see any wires poking out.

Those tires in a 315/75/16 seem to be about $200/each online so that quote is a little high but not crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/Falken-Wildpeak-AT3W-Terrain-Radial/dp/B01C8Z7RXC

I personally would expect them to run you closer to $1000 or $1100 for four mounted and balanced.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not horrible for a set of tires. Those general grabbers were like 870$ mounted, balanced, with road hazard, free rotation and nitrogen fill for life of the tire. It was like 280$ more for them to order the Goodyear’s I’ll be getting swapped on next weekend. The bfg’s I just replaced were 1200$

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't fall for those road hazard warranties and such. Especially not nitrogen.......

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

+1 on the nitrogen. To me it's a gimmick and hardly anyone around here has the generator equipment for it. Good ole plain air is good enough.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitrogen fill is free. Road hazard was like 8$/tire. If it won’t hold air and they can’t patch it, I get a new one. Got 3 patches on my bfg’s with that warranty. It’s 15$ for just a patch with out the road hazard. Tire barn is the the most honest/best price tire shop I’ve ever seen. Those guys will really work with you (and let you work with them) lol. I like jacking up my own truck and rolling tires across the shop for them

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
+1 on the nitrogen. To me it's a gimmick and hardly anyone around here has the generator equipment for it. Good ole plain air is good enough.
Not to mention, they would need a chamber for the tire to be in, vacuum the air out, etc.

I guess just personally, I've never once had "road hazard warranties" cover anything.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Not to mention, they would need a chamber for the tire to be in, vacuum the air out, etc

They had a machine at the car dealership I worked at.
It had a vacuum pump, it would pull a vacuum down to -1 psi, fill with nitrogen, repeat this cycle 3 more times before filling with nitrogen, took about half an hour.
It worked fine, set the final fill pressure and it did it automatically on all 4 at once through the valve stems.
It's still a gimmick, just like the "run flat" tires.