Timing advance has amind of it's own.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
With the warmer temps, the timing advance on my IP has been acting weird. This is on my 86 by the way. The truck will start normally and after a while I will hear the advance kick off. It will then kick on and off several more times for a minute or two before finally staying off. It's about due for a fuel filter change, do you think a filter full of diesel kleen would help? I just ran several quarts of clean ATF through the whole system.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You didn't say how many miles are on the pump... It may be wearing out and this is a early sign for you...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Sounds like the advance piston is worn and wandering around a bit. The IP I had on Mater would do similar, running WMO would thicken up the fuel mix enough to hamper it's wanderings. It's just a matter of time though.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IP cold advance solenoid is controlled ON by the head temp. sensor (120*) on the pass side, your t'stat may be acting up or could be the sensor itself. When the t'stat reaches 120* it opens and a coolant flow begins, cold/warm coolant could cause the sensor to close again energizing the cold advance solenoid. Does this sound reasonable?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine did that when the switch went bad, then stuck on altogether, unplug it and see if it stops doing it, process of elimination.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The IP has 190k on it. It only does it when outside temps are in the 60-70* range and it only happens during the first mile of travel then stops.

I will pull the plug and see what happens.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Mine does it every once in a while and I just assume the sensor is getting hot then cold curing the transitional temp.

I dosen't happen when it's unplugged of course.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Is it just that one temp sensor that triggers the advance? I noticed yesterday the fast idle solenoid is also going on and off so I think what ever it is that triggers them is on the fritz. What exactly would I be after if I were to replace it?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
You think the cold idle solenoid is bad and setting off the advance as well? I thought maybe the temp switch was bad and causing them to go crazy. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, electrically related problems are not my strong suit...hence the reason I like these trucks.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I stated it wrong. The sensor just below the #1 glow plug (not labled) is the one that energizes both the "C156 cold idle" also the "cold advance" on the IP.

Enlarge the pic to full page and you can see it.

Was trying to listen to the Repub debate, and screwed up. :eek: :D

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I'm not having any luck at work finding these things. The only sensor I Was able to find is the temp sensor for the guage.

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ford part # of the Cold Idle Temp Switch is: E8TZ-9E939-A
I have seen them on ebay from time to time. Stealership charges 40+ bucks for one. Mine is out so I have mine unplugged. Unless it's really cold I don't see the need in it, looks to me that it will burn more fuel anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online