timing a new IP

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a good strobe timing light, something equal to an Actron digital readout, Ferret quartz pickup, 9/16" offset wrench, about $350 worth.

Search on here for how to do it.

Attachments

• DVC01350.JPG
    DVC01350.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DVC01343.JPG
    DVC01343.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 10
  • DVC01355.JPG
    DVC01355.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 5

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An IP wrench makes things really easy, too, as you can snug things down a bit and make small adjustments. You can get one here, which is run by Freebird01 on this board, iirc. That plus the above took me about 15 minutes when I did it.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
If the ferret seems steep, you can get a rental J3300A (it times both pulse and luminosity method) from Icanfixall.

I prefer the pulse method that the ferret uses. Mostly because that's the way I've done it, and had it work.

the 9/16" wrench you can make, either by grinding down a HF offset wrench. Or torching a normal box end, and bending it to the correct offset. Then grinding it down. To get onto the nuts, it has to be really really thin, and narrow. How much grinding you need will be pretty obvious by looking, and the top nut you can get to easy with a strait wrench to do a grind and testfit. Also, if you have one already, you can use a 20" or bigger C-wrench in place of the IP wrench, just be very careful how much pressure you use.

Just so it gets said:

NEVER NEVER EVER!!!!!! start your engine unless your IP is torqued down to spec. You will destroy it.

For the pulse method, timing reading is taken at 2000 rpm's with either the engine warm, or the cold advance disconnected.

gandalf

Reaction score
The 9/16th wrench can be made/adapted from a normal wrench. This was covered back in January 2011. Took a while to find where I had the information, but I did find it. Here is the link:

9/16 IP wrench