timeing the pump by ear

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you all talk about timing the pump by ear my question is what am i listening for what kind of sound more knock, less knock,do i move it one way and try it then move it the other way and see what works best????. because a diesel; is so noisy anyway. I always worry if a lifter was loose i wouldn't know it.
I looked at my marks and there lined up perfect to start by.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you all talk about timing the pump by ear my question is what am i listening for what kind of sound more knock, less knock,do i move it one way and try it then move it the other way and see what works best????. because a diesel; is so noisy anyway. I always worry if a lifter was loose i wouldn't know it.
I looked at my marks and there lined up perfect to start by.

You'll know if a lifter gets loose, you will start to hear a lot of "POPPING" I have had this happen. Timing by ear isn't the same as a gasser, you can't rotate it while running. You have to shut the engine down, move the pump a little and then start it back up and see how it sounds. Best way is to set it by the mark and then advance it a dimes width towards the passenger side. Start it up and listen to it, it will have a lot of diesel knock when cold but should really quieten down when you unhook the cold advance and/or (depending on how cold it is) it warms up.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you haven't been doing work on diesels and timing diesels for a living, it's very difficult to verbalize what the right "sound" is for the DIY. do yourself and your truck a favor and bring it to a shop to have it done.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is several very qualified idi experts up in Oregon. Punkmechanic and typ4 are tops in this idi field. Contact them and they can help. Moving the pump top towards the passenger fender is advancing the pump. I don't like to say turn this right or left. That all depends on which side of the motor you are standing on... So the drivers side fender retards and the passenger side fender advances the pump. About the width of a dime is around 2 degrees. Usually I use a center punch and make a mark into the pump and cover joint. Then move the pump. That way you can return the pump to the original location just by aligning up the punched point in the joint. Helps to show how much you have turned the pump too... Mel made this suggestion a few years ago. I had been using it for years in the steam generation business but never thought about using it here..... Sometimes your the bug... Sometimes your the windshield.....:rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is advancing the more common starting place hoping for a little more power

Actually, most guys turn up their pump if they don't think they see any smoke as a first move. Getting your timing set properly is really the best option. Experimentation is the hard way to go.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My impression is that if you have not spent years working on and timing diesels.....specifically these IDI's.......then trying to "time by ear" seems nothing more than a guess at best. The timing mark is better than nothing, but it too is just a starting point. The best is to have it dynamically timed with the proper equipment. But, that too is not always easy to do. Finding a shop with the right equipment and the know how to do it is a rarity. Thank God for Mel and his annual timing clinic at the rallies. THANKS MEL!;Sweet

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. Always glad to be of service. ;Sweet