Tightening injection line nuts on IP

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've grown tired of having a little more diesel fume than normal wafting in my window, especially while off the throttle and going downhill. I figured I must have some sort of small leak somewhere. I already snugged up a couple injector nuts that looked like they were just damp enough to possibly be weeping a bit so it is time to jump down to the IP end. (don't worry, I know all about return lines and olives - we got those covered already)

After getting enough access to see the back of the pump, it appears that the bottom two injection lines are wet. Great. You know what makes for a good time? Getting to the back of the injection pump. In a van. With a turbo.

Thankfully, I've got the special tool needed to tighten said lines and I think I successfully got to one of them last night but it is hard to tell whether I actually got the nut to tighten a little or not with so many other things for a ratchet handle to run into. I'm going to work on the other one this evening and see where I can get.

Anyone have any tips on doing this other than exercising extreme patience? At first I thought the hot ticket was to fish an extension under the intake manifold from behind but so far I've had better luck just using a swivel head ratchet.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose one option is to take off a few of the upper lines to gain better access to the bottom ones, but I'm just not sure that I feel like opening that can of worms just yet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Removing lines may help but its tuff in a van no matter what. Good thing you have that special socket to fit the nuts under the pump head.