Throttle Cable Woes

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It would help if I could get a definite on the actual OEM part number -I have seen 3 different ones, and then when I go to buy them it pops up as incompatible.

I found the right part number, I think: E8UZ-9A758-D

This page lists it as being for 87-89 E350 with a 6.9. I don't see why it fit a 91 with a 7.3? Same (basic) engine, same body. Unless they changed the throttle pedal after 89?

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-cable-assy-throttle-control_e8uz-9a758-d.html

Here is one on ebay, but it's $89.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/throttle-c...440995?hash=item1a7b0a95e3:g:RQIAAOSwK6RZLwuT

The RockAuto listing of the Pioneer cable for a 91 E350 7.3 says this:
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): E4UZ9A758A, E7UZ9A758E, E8UZ9A758A, E8UZ9A758D

The problem with OEM part numbers is they sometimes change a lot over the span of 25-35 years. So really, all of those are the OEM part number, in theory anyway. If you cross reference the first number I cited above (E8UZ-9A758-D) you will find this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Source: http://www.kakapart.com/oem/partscrossinterchange/ford-e8uz9a758a.html

Max Mini

Reaction score
Would it be better to get like a universal kit or something and make one that's exactly the right length?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be better to get like a universal kit or something and make one that's exactly the right length?
No disrespect meant, but, how you going to do that if you can't even replace the cable on your own?

Max Mini

Reaction score
I found the right part number, I think: E8UZ-9A758-D

This page lists it as being for 87-89 E350 with a 6.9. I don't see why it fit a 91 with a 7.3? Same (basic) engine, same body. Unless they changed the throttle pedal after 89?

That's the part I almost bought on Fordpartsgiant.com. But at checkout I entered my VIN, and got a response that it was NOT compatible. So that's where I'm getting confused.

Max Mini

Reaction score
No disrespect meant, but, how you going to do that if you can't even replace the cable on your own?

Well, I didn't say I couldn't replace the cable, but in order to replace it I'd need to be able to find it. I'm not opposed to learning how to do it, but so far, I'm looking where I've been told I'll see it and I don't see a cable at all. I see the pedal going up into a metal tube and connecting with another metal tube. From how it was described I was expecting it to be an actual, visible cable. That's not what I see, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or something. I am utterly clueless, I'll admit, but not unwilling to give it a try if it's simple, which it kinda sounded like it was.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well, I didn't say I couldn't replace the cable, but in order to replace it I'd need to be able to find it. I'm not opposed to learning how to do it, but so far, I'm looking where I've been told I'll see it and I don't see a cable at all. I see the pedal going up into a metal tube and connecting with another metal tube. From how it was described I was expecting it to be an actual, visible cable. That's not what I see, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or something. I am utterly clueless, I'll admit, but not unwilling to give it a try if it's simple, which it kinda sounded like it was.

It's basically just 2 screws on the firewall, disconnecting the cable at the pedal in the cab, and disconnecting it at the throttle for the IP, and removing it from the bracket by the IP.

Max Mini

Reaction score
It's basically just 2 screws on the firewall, disconnecting the cable at the pedal in the cab, and disconnecting it at the throttle for the IP, and removing it from the bracket by the IP.
OK but where exactly does it connect to the pedal?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will attempt to find one at the junkyard, but the problem is, I'm not at a level where I could install it myself, so I'd have to pay the shop to do it all over again. I could maybe insist they replace it, but, ever in a hurry, I bought that part myself.
Please accept my apologies. I guess I made an assumption that you couldn't do it, based on what you said in your first post, and which I have bolded in the quote.

I would think that if you tore into it, and figured out where the cable actually was... How to get it off of there, and how to replace it, you might want to just get it off of there, then take it with you, to compare with other cables, and make sure to get one a bit shorter.

Been thinking about this, though. You first said you couldn't see any way to adjust it, now you are saying that you can't see the cable at all. I'd bet that if you just started taking things apart, and got far enough into it, you'd find a way to adjust it.

In my experience the only thing that the overall length usually relates to, is whether the entire cable assembly can be installed or not. What you are talking about would be more a matter of the length of the inner cable, compared to the length of the casing.

So if you can get it off of there.. Take it with you, and what you will be looking for, is a cable where the housing is the same length, but the inner cable is a bit shorter.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's the part I almost bought on Fordpartsgiant.com. But at checkout I entered my VIN, and got a response that it was NOT compatible. So that's where I'm getting confused.

Because it's not listed as compatible. Who knows if it really is? I don't see why it wouldn't be, the Pioneer is supposed to interchange with it. But you said the Pioneer isn't working right for you, so your guess is as good as mine.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked?

Sometimes it is easier to stick a camera or your phone into an area like that, aim it different ways, and take some pics. :)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The pedal is mounted to a metal tube. That metal tube goes up a little ways, into the bracket it pivots on, and up another couple inches. At the very top there is a slot/hole the cable is supposed to sit in.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

Lay down on the floor with a good, bright flashlight and look up. :rolleyes:

It is a bit confusing, I just looked at my 85's. It actually seems to be mounted to a bracket under the dash and it pulls the cable opposite from the way I expected. Mine has a linkage setup for the pedal itself because of how long it is. It pulls the cable end TOWARD the firewall, not AWAY from. I'm not going to tear into my dash, so here's the best shots I can get.

Again, this is a 1985 so yours may be different.

This is with the pedal to the floor, otherwise you can't see the cable going into the linkage when looking up from the floor since it rests at the cable sheath end, and the cables block the view.

The linkage mid way between the pedal and the cable:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Throttle cable in the engine bay. Dunno what the larger thing up higher that is kind of following it, some vacuum line maybe. (Edit: Speedo cable maybe?) I know the one the arrow is pointing to is a cable, it has a small split in the sheathing and you can see the cable inside.

Max Mini

Reaction score
You first said you couldn't see any way to adjust it, now you are saying that you can't see the cable at all. I'd bet that if you just started taking things apart, and got far enough into it, you'd find a way to adjust it.

Oops, yeah, I guess I did say I couldn't do it, you got me there! Well, not without some instruction, I guess.

It's actually the shop that told me it's not adjustable. They said some come with an adjustment built in, but this one did not. That's what I'm saying.

Anyway, when I mentioned the kit, I wasn't really committing to doing it myself, I was just asking if, whether it's me or the shop or whoever, that might be a better way to go.

Phew. I wasn't really thinking I was gonna have to think so hard about everything I type here. If I'd known about the scrutiny I guess I would have been more careful choosing my words. The truth is I don't know what I'm capable of or not capable of. I know there are many things I'd give an immediate "NO" to - I just don't even feel like it makes sense to try to wrap my head around them. I'm not doing my own brake job or putting in a transmission, for example. This seems like a fairly easy task, so MAYBE I could do it. Not really sure either way, but the one thing I can say is that I DON'T KNOW HOW to do it.

Max Mini

Reaction score
Lay down on the floor with a good, bright flashlight and look up. :rolleyes:

It is a bit confusing, I just looked at my 85's. It actually seems to be mounted to a bracket under the dash and it pulls the cable opposite from the way I expected. Mine has a linkage setup for the pedal itself because of how long it is. It pulls the cable end TOWARD the firewall, not AWAY from. I'm not going to tear into my dash, so here's the best shots I can get.

Again, this is a 1985 so yours may be different.

This is with the pedal to the floor, otherwise you can't see the cable going into the linkage when looking up from the floor since it rests at the cable sheath end, and the cables block the view.

The linkage mid way between the pedal and the cable:

Thanks, this is really helpful and exactly what I needed! I'm not sure it's exactly the same as your 85 but it looks pretty similar. And yes, it does pull the opposite way from how you'd think.