three way heater hose.

noddaz

Reaction score
I need to repair the 3 way heater hose on my 1991 F250D. Sucker lists for 203 from Ford. Anyone have an idea to fab one up on the cheap?

Hose goes from the heater core to the bottom of the radiator. third end goes to the right cyl head.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=LXTIhPJ5FkmBV7VIebp4Ow%3d%3d&id=269128539&m=2&search=true&year=1991&make=Ford&model=F-250

Stock hose was ruined from fuel leakage from the fuel filter dripping. (That is what I get for being lazy...)

Any help would be appreciated...

Scott

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have an automatic transmission? If you don't, you don't need the hose going down to the bottom of the radiator.

Last edited:

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
some heater hose from your local parts store, hose clamps, and a 5/8" T from home depot?

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I didn't tear mine all the way apart, but it all appeared to be 5/8" (I think) heater hose. You could probably build the whole assembly for less than $25 from an auto parts store.
I actually don't have the line going down to the radiator hooked up on mine currently. My new Champion radiator takes a different fitting in the bottom, so I bypassed it for the time being.

Edit:: Dangit. I guess I type slow. Haha

noddaz

Reaction score
Yes, I do have an auto trans. I will have to explore the fitting department for a metal tee at HD or Lowes...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Auto parts stores would have it.
Bumper to bumper or napa for sure.
I would get brass or metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you need the hose going to the rad with an automatic, it helps to warm the trans oil quicker in winter. Look for a tee 5/8 x 3/8 x 5/8 brass, I've maybe got a hundred of them in brass and copper.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well seeing I live on the west coast I decided to remove this three way hose from my engine. As for trans fluid warmup I feel I'm doing well the way I have this but colder climates might benifit from a bypass like this. your going to find the bottom radiator fitting is really a small orfided fitting allowing very little coolant to pass to do the warm up. Yes, those factory hoese are very expensive. I found this out many years ago too. The larger hose is 5/8 and the smaller hose going to the bottom radiator tank is either 3/8 or 1/2 inch hose. Your going to have to drain all the coolant anyway so just remove the bottom fitting in the radiator or test fit some hose on it to determine the size. Or do away with all together and install a plug in the bottom tank. If you remove the bottom fitting on a cold engine you wont have to drain all the coolant. Very little if any coolant will drain out because the coolant system will be under a vacuum with the radiator cap on the top tank. Just be quick with the removal and the plug. Don't drink the pretty coolaid dripping from the bottom tank either. Remember your under it and gravity has a way of directing everything to your mouth and face...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Oh man.. they used those in other fords also? My dad's old 93 ranger with a 3.0 V6/stick had a tee piece like that. $30-$40 later at the original dealer it was purchased at and we ended up with a plastic tee piece. Lasted 10+ years? Until the truck got ruined due to lack of coolant maintenance. The original had pin hole leaks (metal) that started weeping/spraying out of it.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I make y's and t's for customers all the time.just need some metal /copper pipe and silver solder.we usualy get $20

flystagg

Reaction score
Just did my heater hoses and wanted to update this thread for future users. 1992 f250 I needed 6ft of 5/8 heater hose and maybe 4ft of 1/2" heater hose (from tee to radiator). I was able to reuse the factory tee by cutting off the crimped on fittings with a cuttoff wheel it took like 30 seconds and I didn"t have to use the crappy plastic tee from the auto parts store. So if you want to keep your trans heater intact reuse the factory tee with new camps and 1/2" heater line

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Was about the mention that hose going down to the bottom of the radiator is 1/2 inch and the heater hose is 5/8 inch. Ford really is proud of that hose too but it mostly is not needed around here. Living in the non freezing areas I just got rid of mine years ago. Looking at the fitting in the bottom tank of the radiator and seeing how small the port was got me to thinking. What good is a 1/8 inch hole in the 1/2 inch fitting???cookoo:dunno So a little investigating and it was removed. Same with the fuel filter heater. Another interesting item about that brass hose fitting in the passenger side head. It ALSO has a restrictor in it. Sadly I purchased the last one Ford had many years ago. My original 1989 was removed and as I was looking it ove I found the restrictor in it badly damaged so I felt I should replace it. Really do not need that either. Why restrict thew coolant flow to the heater???

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Restricting the heater does 2 things.first it allows more coolant to go through the radiator instead of bypassing through the heater and 2 it cuts back on erosion in the heater its self just like how a stream erodes a river bank.but if you cut back on the speed of the water you cut down the erosion

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online