This weekend its finally time

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Correct, original application is a Cummins 24v auto. The whole engine seems quieter, a lot of that could be the "muffler" effect on my straight pipe 5" stack. It's actually very quiet though, decent amount of whistle but not terribly noticeable in the cab. Wide open on boost it has a pretty mean growl.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Looks good Hyde...I would like to do that to my 90..

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Looks good Hyde...I would like to do that to my 90..
Thank you, if you were thinking about this particular turbo there are a few tips I'll share that are fairly important, on my.phone right now or I would type it out.
Nice work man. What'd you do for the RDT?

Heath
Thanks Heath, I welded a piece of 1" tube onto the oil fill neck and ran a hose from there.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
so i have to ask, was it worth it? cant watch the video right now, i will have to later. did you do any before and after? details man details LOL i would like to see what all was needed to make this happen when you get a chance to type it out.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
so i have to ask, was it worth it? cant watch the video right now, i will have to later. did you do any before and after? details man details LOL i would like to see what all was needed to make this happen when you get a chance to type it out.

Definitely worth it, there is no comparison. This might hurt some feelings but it feels like a real diesel now, and I even liked it before. Now I love it, with the 9cm exhaust housing spool is awesome, it will come on boost whenever I want it.

As far as things to note doing this install on an ATS t3 setup, an HX35 will not fit, the exhaust housing will not allow any sort of intake into the engine. The HY35 clears but its still pretty tight. I used a 1/2" t3 spacer on the up pipe to allow the turbo to clock correctly to fit it and the drain pedestal at the same time. The biggest issue for most people will probably be the turndown for the downpipe. The stock Dodge one would be very difficult to fit. Luckily I had a "turndown" off an industrial 4bt, its an instant 90 degree turn intended for an upright stack. This was perfect to shoot down in the only space available for the downpipe, for that I used a section of the factory Dodge downpipe slightly flattened where it goes past the transmission. For oil feed I used adapter fittings, from the Dodge turbo fitting, and the 1/8 pipe in the block were converted the hydraulic fittings. My external wastegate was welded into the crossover pipe underneath the truck, its a little lower hanging than I would like but I dont take this truck offroad much anyway.

So even with the work involved it was easily worth it, all I can suggest is have some decent fab skills, or know someone that does, cold side piping involved making a flange to fit into the clamp on the turbo outlet to get it heading the right direction. As it is I have it so I can install an air/water intercooler down the road. The cold piping probably would have been much easier with the Dodge elbow outlet and a front mount intercooler. Hope this helps!

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing how you did it Hyde..

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
could you post some more pictures around the turbo at differant angles?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
No problem, ill go take some when I get a chance

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Here you can see where the HX35s bigger exhaust housing would prevent an intake into the engine
You must be registered for see images attach

Compressor housing, meet injector line

The industrial turndown intended for an upright stack, lots of tight fits on this project

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Anyone know any secrets to getting the ATS uppipe to seal? Got a fairly major exhaust leak coming from there, put some Acousti-seal on it when I put it together but I guess that didnt work. Even with the leak it blew the doors off my buddys TS chipped 97 Powerstroke :sly on a closed course in Mexico of course.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good write up. I have a factory ford unit to install on my 1990. I hope soon. This site is a great place to get all kinds of pointers from people that had already done it. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online