This is also interesting

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
While making some fuel today, I noticed that my suction pipe wouldn't go all the way down in the barrel. I cut the pipe, the same length as the inside depth of a standard 55 gallon drum. I've had a few drums of WMO sitting on my trailer, to keep them out of the way and stored the trailer outside.

After thinking about it a bit, I looked in the barrel with a light. Lo and behold, there was a block of ice in the bottom! I normally deal with a small amount of water in my collected oil, using heat from a water heater element. It never dawned on me, to take advantage of the "Natural freezer" and just suck the oil from the top of the ice. Even better, is the fact that any particulates that settled to the bottom, were trapped in the ice!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EMD_DRIVER
Thats a good way to "pull out" most of the water in one shot.
Nice to meet another wmo user, what kind of filter system are you using?
I haven't been using to strong of mixtures yet, but I want to get to 80 - 90% sometime.
In time I want to get setup with a centrifuge, heater, a couple of barrels,etc.
Im just trying to soak up as much info as possible. Thanks

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Nice to "Meet" you too!

Right now, I have two whole-house water filters in series. I run a 5 micron pre-filter and a 1 micron secondary filter. I also have a spin-on filter mounted to the pump, which is on my fuel tank.

I mix my kerosene and WMO before filtering, so that the pump won't have to work as hard. It also helps tremendously with the speed of the filtering. Thinner liquids flow through filters MUCH easier!

I also have a small centrifuge, but need a high pressure pump for it. The pump I use now, is a power steering pump from a 1986 Honda Accord. It is driven by a 1/4hp electric motor.

Hope this helps!

EDIT:

I ran higher percentages, when I ran it in my IDI. The OBS PSD fuel pump is not able to handle the thicker fuel. It's a two stage pump and I lost the low pressure side of one, in my 94 PSD. It ended up also costing me an expensive injector.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power steering pump was the way I was leaning to push the wmo through the system.(and trying to keep the total cost down)
That doesn't work as well? How many passes are you making with the CF.
On a different site I saw someone who had a similar setup with a power steering pump.

Have you ever used regular diesel fuel to thin out the mixtures, I know kerosene would work better, here I go thinking about cost again.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
The power steering pump was the way I was leaning to push the wmo through the system.(and trying to keep the total cost down)
That doesn't work as well? How many passes are you making with the CF.
On a different site I saw someone who had a similar setup with a power steering pump.

Have you ever used regular diesel fuel to thin out the mixtures, I know kerosene would work better, here I go thinking about cost again.

The PS pump does fine, but I don't trust my plumbing for any pressures over 30-40PSI. I haven't gotten the CF working well, since I don't want to run the 50-60PSI through my plumbing and through the CF.

What I'm trying to do, is match the viscosity of #2 diesel. Adding any WMO to #2 will increase the viscosity of it. That is defeating the purpose for me. I mix 25 gallons of kerosene with 55 gallons of WMO. That yields me 80 gallons of fuel and costs me $83.00.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those kind of prices for diesel would be great.:hail

When you add the kerosene do you mix it before going through the filters?
I've got a heated tank and many of the other parts to run this stuff during the winter, but it's not installed yet.

By the way what does diesel cost out by you, here it's about $3.45 and that blended with #1 60/40 or so.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Those kind of prices for diesel would be great.:hail

When you add the kerosene do you mix it before going through the filters?
I've got a heated tank and many of the other parts to run this stuff during the winter, but it's not installed yet.

By the way what does diesel cost out by you, here it's about $3.45 and that blended with #1 60/40 or so.

I have to mix it before filtering... It won't go through the filters otherwise. I also have a heated barrel, which is what I mix in. My truck is bone stock..

Diesel here yesterday, was 3.40-3.65... Depending on which state you are in. WV has an extra tax on fuel, so I buy in VA when I do buy fuel.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to stray to far from the topic, but what kind of crap is Uncle Sam doing out there with the coal mines?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I don't want to stray to far from the topic, but what kind of crap is Uncle Sam doing out there with the coal mines?

I have no idea. The mines are in middle and southern WV. I live in the eastern panhandle... No mines around here.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So EMD, after you mix it with the kerosene and filter it, you put it in the trucks tanks and run it with no tank heater setup? Sorry for the "dumb" question, I am just trying to figure out a setup to get started running WMO in my IDI.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
That's a very valid and understandable question... When I am done, my fuel is very close to being as thin as diesel. No tank heating is necessary. My truck loves it and my egt's run about 100 degrees higher than on diesel. I have been working on my mix for almost three years and finally have something that works year around. I do add a couple extra gallons of kero in winter, to help it be just a bit thinner. That is a couple extra gallons, mixed with 55 gallons of oil.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do have any pics and info on your filtration setup? I would love to see it. My problem is that I don't have a lot of time to put into the research, but if I can get a solid plan from someone who is already doing it, then I will get my system going right away.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Do have any pics and info on your filtration setup? I would love to see it. My problem is that I don't have a lot of time to put into the research, but if I can get a solid plan from someone who is already doing it, then I will get my system going right away.

Here's a pic of my filter rig, just after I put it together. I used two whole-house water filters and a Goldenrod water block filter. I put a 5 micron filter in the first one (Left side) and a 1 micron in the middle one. I used to use the water block filter, but now I don't need it. There's no filter cartridge in that one now.

I put 15 gallons of kero in the mixing barrel and pump approximately 30 gallons of WMO in on top of it. When I'm pumping straight WMO, it does not go through the filters. I bypass the filters, unless the WMO is mixed with kero. Once the kero/WMO are in the mixing barrel, I give it a real good stir. Once mixed and de-watered, it flows through the filters very easily.

I usually pump the mix from the bottom and return it to the top, in order to get it fully mixed and filtered. From there it goes through the filters one last time, as I pump it into my 275 gallon holding tank.

You must be registered for see images attach

P.S. Ignore the barrel in the picture. That was my first attempt and it was gravity feed. A real PITA...