Think I found my duallys limit..

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to put some heavier axles under that trailer if you want to go 13,000 lbs! they look like 15" wheels and 3500lbs axles from the pic. you are way beyond its capabilties?

Black dawg

Reaction score
That really isn't that heavy of a load, pushing some air though....
Need to check radiator core internally and externally for restriction, and get that fan engaging.

As far as OD towing with an e40d, a healthy e40d should have no trouble at that load or power level. If it is struggling to maintain OD and lockup, then yes, just run drive.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if others pointed this out yet or not, but you'll definitely want an aux cooler for the transmission, so the fluid doesn't overheat.

Otherwise, get a ZF manual transmission and not worry about it.

Personally, yeah, I'm towing in overdrive(usually no more than about 8-9K though), but I have to be either going 45 and basically idling along, or 65+
Part of this, though, is having more power than you do at my disposal - At last count, around 250 RWHP, vs somewhere around 125 for a new, stock NA motor and around 200 for a turned-up stock pump and turbo setup.
And yeah, that 50 HP makes a big difference when you are trying to accelerate up big hills.

chumwon

Reaction score
It's only 8000ish on the trailer and it's rated for 10,000. It was ment to haul 12 golf carts.... the trailer did well other then being heavy

you might want to put some heavier axles under that trailer if you want to go 13,000 lbs! they look like 15" wheels and 3500lbs axles from the pic. you are way beyond its capabilties?

chumwon

Reaction score
I didn't think it really was that huge of a load but what do I know. New radiator but the cooling system was terrible. I flushed the hell out of it a year ago an it seems to be much cleaner but maybe she's due for a flush again. The truck just seems a little under powered lately I feel.. maybe my pump is finally going or a few injectors getting bad..

That really isn't that heavy of a load, pushing some air though....
Need to check radiator core internally and externally for restriction, and get that fan engaging.

As far as OD towing with an e40d, a healthy e40d should have no trouble at that load or power level. If it is struggling to maintain OD and lockup, then yes, just run drive.

chumwon

Reaction score
I have the stock of in the new radiator and a decent sized one in front of that. If my tranny blows I'd love a manual just don't know how much of a hassle/cost an if it'd be worth it.

Yes my ole girl is definitely under powered am I believe is gotten worse recently. Even just putting brand new tires on it made it drag ass... :( gobs of torque, drips of hp! Ha... one day that'll change!

I'm not sure if others pointed this out yet or not, but you'll definitely want an aux cooler for the transmission, so the fluid doesn't overheat.

Otherwise, get a ZF manual transmission and not worry about it.

Personally, yeah, I'm towing in overdrive(usually no more than about 8-9K though), but I have to be either going 45 and basically idling along, or 65+
Part of this, though, is having more power than you do at my disposal - At last count, around 250 RWHP, vs somewhere around 125 for a new, stock NA motor and around 200 for a turned-up stock pump and turbo setup.
And yeah, that 50 HP makes a big difference when you are trying to accelerate up big hills.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok 10,000lb gross, so those are 5000lb axles . that trailer weighs over 3000lbs emptymight be over 4000 as its a goose neck. it was well within its limits hauling golf carts . i truck on it tkaes it close to its gross .

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok 10,000lb gross, so those are 5000lb axles . that trailer weighs over 3000lbs emptymight be over 4000 as its a goose neck. it was well within its limits hauling golf carts . i truck on it tkaes it close to its gross .
The only other thing to take into account here is the gooseneck. Unlike a bumper-pull trailer, the gooseneck can take quite a bit of weight, which then goes into the truck's rear wheels.
What with the ford way on up there, my guess is quite a bit of that weight is on the gooseneck hitch, so what's on the trailer tires may not be as much as you think.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I went over kill on the trailer that's for sure but I couldn't pass the deal. Guess I should be happy I didn't buy the 53footer instead or the ole girl word really kill me!

If I have faith in that truck lasting a while if be more then happy to spend the money on hydros!. I've never driven something where I literally said "I need better brakes".. hell both trucks on the trailer don't even have brakes! Haha if I can wrap my head around how to do it an get it done right I'd love to have the hydros!

Well as for the hydro there are plenty of threads on here when you get a chance start searching and reading. It's all off the shelf parts except maybe the pedal.

When we moved, I borrowed a buddy's two car enclosed bumper pull trailer. Had to be 40ft or so inside, loaded up probably halfway full all the way back. The old girl pulled it just fine, I don't think I hit 55 more than once, but no issues. I wouldn't have had any problems at all if I had a turbo. Of course, it was a very very cheap trailer, so it probably didn't weigh any more empty than your gooseneck does.

I'm glad I bought this old truck, they seem to be pretty stout. I wouldn't have any doubts about yours lasting as long as you take care of it and it doesn't rust out on you!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as for the hydro there are plenty of threads on here when you get a chance start searching and reading. It's all off the shelf parts except maybe the pedal.
I used the stock pedal on my hacked-up hyroboost setup(pulled the booster off a '03 E-450), and it works just fine.

and it doesn't rust out on you!
That's what the Ford Spec Anti-rust system is for!(AKA that annoying oil leak you can never get fixed) :p

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've been told two things on towing in overdrive with an automatic. These guys were in NO way experts, just relaying to me what they'd been told. It may or may not be accurate. First guy had a stock 95 F250, 7.3 psd. He said that it's fine as long as you go at least 65. Second guy had a 97 F250 7.3 psd with a K&N, power chip and 4" straight exhaust. He said that you're fine as long as it's not trying to shift between drive and overdrive a lot. If it does, drop it back into drive. They went by these and they towed in overdrive. The 95 is long gone, sold years ago. The 97 is still around with the same transmission.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing not talked about is your RPM's... These engines were designed to run on the governor all day and not miss a beat....

@towcat has an F-Superduty with either 4.88 or 5.13 gears on it, and it has spent decades pinned to the governor...... run'er up and head down the road.

Also, as above, don't tow in OD..... The first automatic transmission that Ford used behind a diesel that you could use all gears while towing is the 5R110 (Torqshift) used behind the 6.0 PSD. That being said, they have a Tow/Haul button, not an O/D Off.... it uses all 5 gears, but the shift strategy is made to do it.... it completely changes the personality of the transmission....

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Like mentioned before, filling the fan clutch with oil is a good temporary fix. Not a long term fix. If your clutch doesn't have any oil in it, where did it go? Answer to that is the seals are shot and it will eventually all leak out again. Engine cooling systems aren't an area to go cheap on imo.
I believe its more of a mod to engage the fan lockup sooner rather than just replacing something that leaked out.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe something like a bank should trans command
Would help towing that heavy, also possible need to adjust tps sensor?