Things that go bump // Back up camera recommendation ??

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my setup. Its made by RVS, who supplies backup cams to the major RV manufacturers.

www.rearviewsafety.com/‎

Its a pricey system but the cameras are much higher quality and infrared so they will work in complete darkness. They also have built in microphones. I originally had this system installed on my rock buggy with the cams mounted on the frame so I could see what I was driving over, but I couldn't get the angle I was looking for and was too worried about breaking one of them so I pulled it off and put it on this truck. There's three cameras: front, center, and rear. The rear one is my backup camera. The center one is mounted to the back of my toolbox, pointed at the gooseneck plate. I use that when hooking up the trailers, makes it much easier to align since I can't see the ball from inside the cab because of the toolbox. The front is used during winching. I usually have the hood open and sit inside the cab when running the winch for protection against a recoiling cable if it breaks. Having a cam mounted next to the winch allows me to see my line plus I can hear the winch running with the mic so I know when its maxed out.

You must be registered for see images attach

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here's the views with the cams on. The marker grids are selectable and I have them turned off.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 cameras with the monitor is nice, very nice, but the wireless on the back of the camper is still a need for me.
I had thought about that and it might work very nicely for a lot of people.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 cameras with the monitor is nice, very nice, but the wireless on the back of the camper is still a need for me.
I had thought about that and it might work very nicely for a lot of people.

They do have one of those. I looked at the site he posted. Take a look, has great reviews.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife drove mine today, and someone waited by the truck outside the store to ask if she wanted to sell it. Unfortunately for him, we only buy trucks here.

I seem to have the same problem with old tractors. . . .

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a "Pyle" brand screen with two video inputs.. (it's actually the brand, not an adjective)

I drive an old ambulance, so I have one at license plate level in the back for backing up, and one high on the box giving me a wide 'rearview', since there is a considerable blind spot directly behind me.

The screen comes with a suction cup mount for the windshield so no drilling or cutting required.

You can get the system (including 1 camera) at wallyworld online for about $60, and extra cameras on amazon are pretty inexpensive ($20).

Add a rotary switch with some RCA jacks between one of the video inputs and add extra cameras for side view, front, trailer, bed, kennel, etc..

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the emblem off of a newer truck with the camera in it, also running a 8” Android deck. I found that the ford camera has a wider lens and better light pickup than the aftermarket cameras.

Ford camera testing in the living room

Aftermarket camera testing in the same spot and lighting.

best shot I have of the Android deck

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the dash kit and grabbed a 50$ camera radio from amazon. I have a thread here somewhere
the camera is flush mount in a 5/8 or 3/4 inch hole just under the plate. can't get smashed and can hardly notice it's there
I usually don't need it but when the bed it loaded it's great to have in crowded/ tight parking lots
I used to make the wife get out to ground guide, if I can't see the truck doesn't move

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mounted mine on a mag mount on the tailgate. It’s a cheap amazon version but I’ve got it set up so that the leads are long enough on my camper that I can use the same display for it.

Switch is in the overhead so it doesn’t have to be in reverse to see.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking into a camera for backing up to trailers.
I really don't want a video screen in my cab, other than my phone.
The ones that use your phone all seem to use apps. (from China) that make you give them permission to access the GPS on your phone. Argh. Too sketchy for me. Why don't they use Bluetooth instead of WiFi? Or maybe there's one out there that does but I haven't found it.
Right now I'm leaning towards getting one with a video screen and just leaving that in the center console box until I need it. That will be a pain but better than nothing and better than giving China access to my phone.
Has anyone found a rear-view mirror mount one that works with these trucks?

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Smart Hitch Backup Camera & Sensor System on my truck after buying my travel trailer. The only drawback is it is hard wired to the monitor so I had to drill a hole in my fire wall for the cable. However it works really well day or night. It has a hitch mode that helps you line up to hitch to a trailer and a parking mode to help line up while backing into a parking space plus proximity sensors to let you know when you are about to back into something.
The camera and sensors mount to the stock license plate screws on my truck.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice. Thanks.
I don't mind some wiring but I'm trying to get away from mounting a screen. I guess I could rout the wires into my console where the screen could be stored.
But I'm hoping for a phone one that doesn't have an app. that compromises the security on my phone or a rear view mirror one that fits our mirrors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online