Thin out WMO?

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive tried running WMO before but I couldnt get it thined down enough to flow through the injectors properly.Diesel has a viscosity of 1.4-4.1 Cst.WMO has a viscosity of about 100 at room temp and 10 at 212*F.So thats still to thick. yea I could just use less WMO and more diesel but that costs money.Is there anyway to thin out the oil without damaging the injectors or injection pump?I use a centrifuge to clean the oil(it still comes out black,maybe a dark grey,but still black if anyone cares).

Ive thought of
diesel
mineral spirits
acetone
gasoline
heat exhanger

Test vehicle would be a 83 mazda B2200 with a perkins diesel, because if something does go south its cheaper to fix than my 89 Dodge W250 with the CTD.

So the plan so far is to start up on diesel,then when the engine is warm switch to WMO.Then I was thinking having a surge tank for the lift pump to suck from.Then have the return going to it,that way I don't have a problem of the diesel returning to the WMO tank or vice versa.However I still need a way to thin the oil down to roughly diesel level when the oil is cold because the IP doesnt really like fuel at 212*F.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont worry too much about it, what you've been told "wont work" goes out the window once you start running the stuff. Thin it out with Diesel, Kerosen, or gas. You also may need a heater. Definatly have a 2 tank system, your engine will not start cold on WMO, and you should be warmed up before swithching tanks. You just need to find out what works best in your truck.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now to find a cheap gear pump or something to get the oil to the engine on the mazda,because it uses some sort of electric pump..

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a holley blue pump, it works but wont pull cold oil out unless its thined out.
Jred built a system using a powersteering pump as the lift pump, I want to try this but havent had the time.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard some bad things about the blue pump.Its a rotary vane style pump so it can't really cope with pumping a thick liquid.sooner or latter the vanes start getting stuck.

Thinking a mallory comp or other cheap gerorator pump...unless there is another option?
In my cummins it has a piston lift pump and it pumps the oil fine...

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the oil pump out of a ford 460 engine driven by a starter motor to collect oil. It pumps incredibly fast, at least 15 gal a min, if you were to power it with a slower motor it would probably make a good lift pump.

-Rob

MACGIVER

Reaction score
has anyone used methenol to thin out the fuel? I am thinking of trying a 10% methenol with used,filtered automatic transmission fluid.
Does anyone have experience with methenol exopsure to the rubber hoses and injection nossles?
I am running 100% a.t.f. in my 240D Mercedes and want to add more oxygen to help with the smoke.
I have a water asperation system to help control carbon.
I am thinking about hydrogen paroxide asperated as a stable form of oxygen. should be akin to nitrous but safer.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Don the Volvo tech.

tesla440

Reaction score
hydro paraoxide is a good idea, but I think that it would be corrosive to use. I would look at an HHO, or brown's gas generator. That will give you more oxygen to help clean things up.

tesla440

Reaction score
Hydrogen peroxide is PH neutral. It's when you break H2O2 into H & O is what I'm talking about corrosive. Oxygen is what causes rust and aluminum oxydation. It will also make rubbers hard and brittle.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
classicforguy do you have naymore pics of ur setup? Or info how to set something like this up? Sorry for the hijack.