Thermostat & waterpump install

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Hello, last nite I pulled my thermostat on my '94 FTIDI & PO had installed it with tons of Red RTV, no gasket & some offbrand broken thermostat. What gasket sealer you usually use on new gasket as well as new waterpump gasket?
BTW I got new Motorcraft thermostat.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thermostat - no rtv
Water pump - aviation permatex

I’ve done 5 or 6 like this no issue no leaks.
I’m not inventing something new either, this is by the book.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Also be aware to use the correct bolts for the top two water pump. Putting longer ones in interferes with the gear for the injection pump and will take out the pump. Ask me how I know....

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also be aware to use the correct bolts for the top two water pump. Putting longer ones in interferes with the gear for the injection pump and will take out the pump. Ask me how I know....

The middle two on the bottom can also interfere with IP gear...

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aviation will work on both of those gaskets, Its my personal preference on many.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I use a very thin coating of RTV of both. Only because it makes later clean up easier. The gasket doesn't stick that way.
Ttman, before you install your new water pump, I recommend to lay a flat file across the mating surface of the water pump and gently run it across. I've had burrs on reman water pumps that would cause a leak and this removes any burrs that may be on there. It's also a good idea for new water pumps.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually use wheel bearing grease smeaared on both side of paper gaskets. Haven't ever had an issue with leaks and removal is usually easier.

James

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
OK Thanks everyone for the replies. Tomorrow the day to do more of my fixings. This has turned into a nasty time consuming chore.
Loosen the turbo, replace valley pan grommet, valve cover gaskets, waterpump, thermostat, IP replacement, new injectors, ( @typ4 ), glowplug controller new placement, etc, etc, all on my '94 factory IDIT engine in my '90 CC Dually

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online