Thermostat Housing Question.

Erojin

Reaction score
So, I have a 7.3 Idi and cracked my thermostat housing. Everywhere I look or call (even international) says the new style of thermostat housings have the inlet hole and a tube running off. What would that tube be? Part# for it is 84974.

Thanks.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No clue, but that housing part # really doesn't look right at all

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I know of only one type thermostat housing that fits our engines. Its cast iron and has no extra holes in it. what International is showing you probably fit the S1600 truck applications. these idi engines were found in many different bus and medium duty trucks like what Uhaul once rented. the International S1600 box truck.

Erojin

Reaction score
need one? I have a few.
That would be amazing. Would you ship it to Canada and how much would you want for it? Their very hard pieces to find up here in the North.

Welcome to the forum. I know of only one type thermostat housing that fits our engines. Its cast iron and has no extra holes in it. what International is showing you probably fit the S1600 truck applications. these idi engines were found in many different bus and medium duty trucks like what Uhaul once rented. the International S1600 box truck.

Ah that is very possible. So where would that little pipe run to then out of curiosity?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The extra port on the housing can be the coolant to many differant items. One could be an air compressor. could be coolant for a power steering pump. Possibly a heater generally found in a bus.. These are just a few possible items that sometimes require coolant to keep them running cool.

Slow

Reaction score
Could be for a coolant filter or a bypass. I've seen a few IDI industrial diesels of various flavors and vintages that have coolant filters

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It fits the following:

FORD LTD 1983-1986
FORD MUSTANG 1983-1990
MERCURY CAPRI 1983-1986
MERCURY MARQUIS 1983-1986

It's a bypass for the 2.3 Liter engine. I looked over on Rock Auto. Apparently they have the wrong part no. listed.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid phone and I can't delete it. A lot of places list that incorrect housing.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope. good luck trying to find one. these engines are dinosaurs.
I will get you a shipping quote today.
been busy.

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
I had a similar problem one of the bolt heads spun off and I couldn't extract the screw so I dremeled out the housing...I was only able to find one at the wrecking yard

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online