The Ultimate Tow Truck

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I will be selling my 78 Datsun and 67 Mustang within the next few months. cookoo

That means another truck will be replacing them soon after! -Drool

So i'll get to the point now! Lol

Main Focuses and Needs with new truck

1. Another IDI that will be used strictly for towing and traveling, some light and some heavy. Car hauler with vehicle from time to time. Camper, boat, toys etc..

2. Comfort and space is a must as my fiancé and I have two labs that will be traveling with us while we vacaying which is usually once or twice a year depending on work and family.

3. Fuel mileage!!! Since we will be traveling cross country on our most of trips this a must!

4. Reliability! Power! This is obvious to most as this is something we most always look for when dropping a lot of cash into something we are going to be using for hauling and long travel times!

5. The budget for this truck will be pretty steep as it will both of us contributing on this one.

6. Would really like to get a close as I can to the best starting platform (year, model, SRW or DRW, etc..) with my goals in my mind.

7. Many parts and add-ons will be installed throughout.

8. 6.9 Turbo or 7.3 Turbo?

9. Transmission?

10. Motor will be studded and cammed for sure!

I'm looking for feedback from you guys based on your experiences and personal endeavors with towing rigs and the does and don't. Part recommendations, must haves, things that have worked best for you and have a good rep for what I'm looking for. Just some genuine communication and idea tossing if you've got the time! ;Poke

I'm very eager to learn and will have a full build thread on this truck!

Thanks everyone! :cheers:

P.S.
I apologize if this was the wrong place to post this...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sell off a '67 stang for an old truck! You must be mad man! :D

What will you be hauling? The ultimate IDI,cross country, tow truck to me would be: 92-94 F-super duty/f450 with E4OD (or zf5 if you prefer shifting) with 4.63 gears.
Remove and replace the cab with a crew cab.Remove the drive line brake and replace with an aux OD unit for double over.

But ain't no way I'd be using a '67 stang to fund it! lol.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You want the zf5 transmission. They seem to be pretty much the most favored and all else being equal, a manual trans will usually give you better mileage. I'd also go with a crew cab since you're wanting interior space. If you do a lot of heavy towing, you may want to go with a dually. It won't get quite the fuel mileage as a single axle truck. There will be two extra tires to worry about too. Either the 6.9 or 7.3 with a turbo will do a good job, but if you're wanting to build high boost numbers, then I'd say go with a 7.3 just for the fact that they have the 1/2 inch head bolts. An intercooler is a must have. If most of your towing will be on the highway, you may want to look at a non-wastegated turbo since they don't build as much heat at higher boost numbers. The Hypermax Pulse turbo seems to be a good one. I'd also recommend porting the heads as well. That's just basically free power once it's done and you never have any maintanance to worry about. As for me, I'd say to get one with the OBS style, but I just think that they are the best looking ones. You may feel differently.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm biased. dogs get the back area, add a passenger seat for the human. here's my combo.
Chassis: F250 SC 4x4 with front D60 straight axle conversion.
Powerplant: mostly "stock" 6.9/7.3 motor with ATS 093 aftermarket kit and wicked wheel on the cold side. ATS IC kit. Warmed up injection pump.
Transmission: ZF5 and BW1356 transfer case.
rear gears: 4.56's air locker front, LS rear.
Extras: 35 gal in bed tank with sump recovery system.
Hydroboost system.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be getting the new turbo kit from Conestoga diesel soon, I can post the results. I would build up an e4od. A zf is good but it's nice to have a truck shift for you.

Fordf250hdxlt summed up most of it really.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think 4.10 gearing is perfect for towing. If you expect to be doing a lot of light-load towing(empty trailer) or unloaded highway driving, install a GVOD.

With a 7.3, studs, a good turbo and a 110-cc pump, you'll have *plenty* of power; no need for the extra gearing.

If you were NA towing, yeah, higher gears would make sense, but I've had no trouble towing 14,000 lbs with a turbo'd, pumped IDI.

I will second the 92-94 later model truck - they are *much* quieter and more comfortable trucks.
87-91 trucks are more utilitarian; they'll do the same job, just be less comfortable and a bit louder inside.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,I forgot about that part:
*Note: Double Overdrive not to be used when towing or loaded.

https://www.gearvendors.com/fdrive.html

More modern stuff is getting so much better in this regard.My new to me '05 accord - Double OD auto! Nice.Newer diesel truck may be in order before you get too hung up on keeping an old idi truck going.........that is,if your looking to sped serious coin either way.Explore all your options.Your still so young.Id say keep your money and invest it instead.Go get yourself a 4cyl car and a tent.Make the wife suck it up and deal with it.haha! The advantage of living solo I guess.Has it's perks.......Like the ability to keep ones money..........And classic rides! :D

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO if youre traveling long distances the 83-94 interior just will NOT cut it for me.
SD interior!
my 87 F350 4x has a pretty stock 7.3 with a 093 with a WWII,
innercooled
105cc IP
zf5
LSRD
my front is still open.

I don't tow much with my rig, so I went with 3.55's w/ 33" tires
I get 22 mpg in 5th doing 70
bran new door and window seals were a must on my list.
a nice sound system
and a cooler.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah,I forgot about that part:
*Note: Double Overdrive not to be used when towing or loaded.

https://www.gearvendors.com/fdrive.html
Near as I can figure out, this is for the /engine's/ benefit, not the GV. If it can handle 1,000ft/lbs of torque, why does it matter what gear you are in?
They have no problem with being in Overdrive, 4th gear on your ZF and towing.

Actually, Ford also recommends not towing in Overdrive with your ZF, probably for the same reason...

Anyway, I've ignored those recommendations without any issues on either the transmission or GV side. That being said, I *do* run a EGT gauge and keep an eye on it. If the EGTs start getting too high(= too much engine torque), downshift.

Of course, the more air and fuel you can shove into it, the less this matters anyway.

Typically, when towing at 60-75, I'm in at least 5th, if it's a light load, double-over(6th). At 70+, it's pretty easy to have enough torque to stay in double over except on big hills.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sell off a '67 stang for an old truck! You must be mad man! :D

What will you be hauling? The ultimate IDI,cross country, tow truck to me would be: 92-94 F-super duty/f450 with E4OD (or zf5 if you prefer shifting) with 4.63 gears.
Remove and replace the cab with a crew cab.Remove the drive line brake and replace with an aux OD unit for double over.

But ain't no way I'd be using a '67 stang to fund it! lol.

Trade one for another I guess! Lol My only other option would be to get rid of the truck payment (my DD) and only sell the 280z. I've had the stang since 09. It will always hold a special place in my heart. It's been a hell of a ride! So much I still want to do! :rolleyes:

20-35ft travel trailer, 16-20ft. boat and trailer, 16-18ft car hauler with car or truck, 22-26ft gooseneck with tractor or other heavy equipment etc.. Just to give an idea. It wont necessarily be a "work truck" but want it to be able to boogie when duty calls!

I'm loving the 92-94 year range as well.

Definitely a built automatic! A post 95 E40D is the way to go then? I love the idea of a manual trans in a truck one day but not this one! Would the 4.63 gears kill me on fuel mileage?

Just a few of the old gal

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want the zf5 transmission. They seem to be pretty much the most favored and all else being equal, a manual trans will usually give you better mileage. I'd also go with a crew cab since you're wanting interior space. If you do a lot of heavy towing, you may want to go with a dually. It won't get quite the fuel mileage as a single axle truck. There will be two extra tires to worry about too. Either the 6.9 or 7.3 with a turbo will do a good job, but if you're wanting to build high boost numbers, then I'd say go with a 7.3 just for the fact that they have the 1/2 inch head bolts. An intercooler is a must have. If most of your towing will be on the highway, you may want to look at a non-wastegated turbo since they don't build as much heat at higher boost numbers. The Hypermax Pulse turbo seems to be a good one. I'd also recommend porting the heads as well. That's just basically free power once it's done and you never have any maintanance to worry about. As for me, I'd say to get one with the OBS style, but I just think that they are the best looking ones. You may feel differently.

Thanks for input man! :cheers:

I love my bullnose but am also a HUGE fan of the OBS style! I'm really dead set on a built auto, I've read a lot about the zf5 swaps and would eventually want to do it with my 86 in place of the current c6.

4x4 is an absolute must with this one also. Dually would be nice but you make a good point about the extra tires and hurting the fuel mileage. I think I am going to eventually break down and do the rear end swap to DRW on my 86.

Definitely going with the 7.3 as I expect to run a lot more boost than my 6.9 and need the extra strength of the 1/2" head studs.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm biased. dogs get the back area, add a passenger seat for the human. here's my combo.
Chassis: F250 SC 4x4 with front D60 straight axle conversion.
Powerplant: mostly "stock" 6.9/7.3 motor with ATS 093 aftermarket kit and wicked wheel on the cold side. ATS IC kit. Warmed up injection pump.
Transmission: ZF5 and BW1356 transfer case.
rear gears: 4.56's air locker front, LS rear.
Extras: 35 gal in bed tank with sump recovery system.
Hydroboost system.

Loving the truck towcat! 4x4 is a must for me also! I'm very interested in the D60 swap myself.

IMO if youre traveling long distances the 83-94 interior just will NOT cut it for me.
SD interior!
my 87 F350 4x has a pretty stock 7.3 with a 093 with a WWII,
innercooled
105cc IP
zf5
LSRD
my front is still open.

I don't tow much with my rig, so I went with 3.55's w/ 33" tires
I get 22 mpg in 5th doing 70
bran new door and window seals were a must on my list.
a nice sound system
and a cooler.

Funny you should say this because I have every intention of throwing in the king ranch seats and console from a 99-05 SD. It would be awesome to know some dyno numbers on that 87 of yours with those mods.

Intercooler is an absolute must on this build. I will be installing one on my 86 when I swap the IP and injectors in two weeks.

Great idea on the new door and window seals for quietness and leak free. ;Sweet

Last edited:

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be getting the new turbo kit from Conestoga diesel soon, I can post the results. I would build up an e4od. A zf is good but it's nice to have a truck shift for you.

Fordf250hdxlt summed up most of it really.

Built E40D is a must in my book. I have nothing against the zf5 but for this truck comfort and ease is a must. Especially for when the misses needs to take wheel.

I would definitely be interested in hearing the feedback on that Moose Boost! :peelout

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Built E40D is a must in my book. I have nothing against the zf5 but for this truck comfort and ease is a must. Especially for when the misses needs to take wheel.

I would definitely be interested in hearing the feedback on that Moose Boost! :peelout
if you insist on E4DOA trans, then get a standalone controller that has programming emphasizing on durability over fuel economy.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my rig will most likely never see a dyno.
it holds its own on the freeway for a 9k# rig
that's all I really care about.
most of the chassis dynos around here are ran by people I don't much care for.
so ill stick to my own little world lol