The problem with new brake shoes and the parking brake.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Selahdoor for bringing up these notes from Garbage Mechanic. My rear brakes were never making sense and I just ended up leaving them a little loose, but not loose enough that they fall apart. I could get them where they work good and where fine running short distances, but after a bit more than a half hour run on the highway they would start chattering. If I keep going like that, they would start locking up.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ceee
R a p
Now I need to pull my new rears and check the o-really's I just put in...
Good thing the truck is in the shop getting some luv.
Why do we have to buy offshore GARBAGE -Lame
As the site axed its own w t f imogie
:dunno

Attachments

• 20230924_193856.jpg
    20230924_193856.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230924_134319.jpg
    20230924_134319.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THANKS for the excellent pictorial.

One point to consider if one installs new brake shoes and does not perform the above pictured modifications is, the brand-new improperly made shoes just might have enough purchase for the actuator to engage the first hundred or so times and lead one to believe that their new shoes are not affected by the problem; however, with each application, the actuator is displacing metal and climbing a little bit farther over the edge, until it wears the top edge into a ramp; and, from that day forward, instead of spreading the shoes, the actuator will just climb over them.

Sometimes, all this displaced metal will form into a big burr hook that the actuator can hang up on and cause the brake shoe to hang and drag; the only remedy being to pull the drum and grind away the burr --- and while you're in there, just fix the shoe like pictured.

Another thing to consider, the leading edges of the actuator prongs have been wearing and rounding over just as much as the horns on the shoes; when one is welding and reshaping the shoe horns, they should also reface and square off the actuator prongs.

The actuators were meant to be a replaceable part that should have been replaced every other brake change; there is a reason why they are a separate piece from the brake lever itself; when doing brake jobs, everybody ignored the actuators and nobody ever replaced them; so, there was not much demand for new replacements and thus Dorman nor anyone else took it upon themselves to mass-produce them and now they are scarcer than hen's teeth and all the ones out there are worn out and rounded over, exacerbating the poorly made brake shoe problem.
The extra information about the actuators is gold! I hadn't thought of that, for some reason. But yeah, if one side of that is wearing, then so is the other. Maybe have a look at the actuator and build it up with a bit of weld as well?
Thanks @Selahdoor for bringing up these notes from Garbage Mechanic. My rear brakes were never making sense and I just ended up leaving them a little loose, but not loose enough that they fall apart. I could get them where they work good and where fine running short distances, but after a bit more than a half hour run on the highway they would start chattering. If I keep going like that, they would start locking up.
And thank you for mentioning where I got the pics and info from again. If not for @GarbageMechanic none of this would have been available. :)

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living in snow country I got the habit of never applying the parking brake, so no issues. When I got my current truck the cable was rusted in the housing and the actuator had milled the seal end off the hub.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Yeah thanks @Selahdoor for this good brake thread & from @Garbage_Mechanic for this info. Where Is @Garbage_Mechanic anyway?
How come you 2 guys along with several of these other smart guys not around as much as you used to be. I learned LOTS from ALL you guys......Not saying there aren't smart guys out here on OB now!!!!!~
When I get time to read & fix I learn LLOTS here on OB, Just like this thread/article I learned lots!!!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thanks @Selahdoor for this good brake thread & from @Garbage_Mechanic for this info. Where Is @Garbage_Mechanic anyway?
How come you 2 guys along with several of these other smart guys not around as much as you used to be. I learned LOTS from ALL you guys......Not saying there aren't smart guys out here on OB now!!!!!~
When I get time to read & fix I learn LLOTS here on OB, Just like this thread/article I learned lots!!!!
You may have scared them off with your emoji. I'm kidding, your creepy dog is fine.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
You may have scared them off with your emoji. I'm kidding, your creepy dog is fine.
I dream bout that dog chasing me round at least 2-3 times ever nite & the dog's owner whistling & calling "Here FREAK, here Freak, come here Freak, atta girl Freak, come on Freak, good doogie."
hahahaha got'cha that time there @Jesus Freak hahaha

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This deserves a class action... ....
Headed to chimerica auto parts store for an answer why mine are *****... :mad:
Thanks for the information.
@snicklas
Sticky alert

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt read this whole thread, but I did a post a long while ago that addressed the lack of material on the shoe web where the park rocker hits. Easy fix with a welder and grinder.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, B.S. to have to tho.
Corporate Chimerica :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin