The "Little Detroit"

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detroit 2 cycle's are loud and dirty, I rebuild lots of them for work and parts are getting harder to find, aftermarket is ok but Detroit Diesel Allison isnt supporting them like they used to. EPA wants them gone due to emissions regs. Now on the other hand you can make a lot of power with them with injector changes, turbo, and the like plus they can have a Jake brake on any of them. You can swap around manifolds and blowers from side to side, sometimes it is a complete teardown but can be configged to your fitment.
I would use a Cummins 4bt for the best mileage and easy to find parts.
my 2 c

Ak HDM

Reaction score
As stated above, parts are getting harder to find & are expensive. Thereused to be a couple of 70's F250 4x4's here that had 53 series in them. You could hear the screaming,yowling 3-53 & 4-53 coming a mile away. I have to say one good thing about the 2 stoke jokes, i made an awful lot of money over the years fixing them. Personaly, if I were going to repower I would be looking at the Bseries Cummins. I think the B series is one of the best smaller engines out there.
Just my 2cents

harley152

Reaction score
Good old detroit 2 cycles----THE most efficient method man has ever devised to convert diesel fuel into NOISE!!!!!!!!!!:D