The joke is on me

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the wife has now decided that the '87 F250, 6.9 idi (no turbo) does not have the gumption to pull the 4K boat and carry the 2K camper. I agree. So after the next trip it will get a slight paint job and sold off. Meanwhile I have picked up a '94 F350 crewcab dually, 7.3 Turbo 126K and it is parked until we get back from a trip.
As for the '87, I was in the process of changing the shut off solenoid and the cold start solenoid last night.
This is being done just to prevent any future problems and I already had the parts when she decided on a new-er truck.
Last night take it all apart, no problem, switch out parts, that went good enough, install and it won't fit.
Research on you-tube, install and slide it back. Nope. Won't fit, Won't fit, Won't fit.
This morning, go out to pile of parts, find another injector pump I picked up for a spare, take off top cover and find I put the Shut off Solenoid in backwards.
i sew smurt,
Two nuts and i did it basswards.

Meanwhile the F350 is sitting there wondering why I put this into a truck I am planning to sell....
The F350 should be getting 4WD conversion with a 4R100 trans/PTO that I hope to hook up a hyd pump on to run a winch with.
I have a 12K Warn electric winch. It's fun, but not as useful as a hyd winch.
I wonder when she will scream?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd point out that 1987 is the single best year for the 6.9 IDI. It has the better block, heads, glow plugs system and allegedly even the rocker arms are 7.3 style. If low power is all that's wrong with it, then studding and turbocharging isn't all that much more work than a 4x4 swap on a different truck of unknown history.

Although if a growing family is part of her motivation for black-balling the older one, well then, hehe, can't help you there...;)