The dreaded chuffing sound...

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, it was mentioned that sometimes the chuffing sound out of the exhaust could be caused by a faulty injector. My question is, how does that happen and how can I find it or check for it?

I have decided that I would take Sunday off and pull the valve covers off and look at the valve train to see if it's something simple as a broken spring or whatever, before I take my beloved truck to a total stranger to work on it.

I am capable of doing the work (replacing the heads) but I would have to get the new heads from someone like Promar (no problem) and take off from work to do it (a problem). Plus, every time I take my car or truck to someone, they never do the job right. One time I had a racing shop (in Phoenix) install a bigger cam with different heads on my '84 F-100 with a 351 cleveland motor. Less than 5000 miles later, the cam started walking back and forth sending metal filings through out the oiling system.-cuss I was in Austin when this happened. I decided to rebuild the engine and found that the cam bolt had come loose, allowing the cam to walk around which ruined my brand new Rhoads lifters. Not to mention pistons bearings and ect. They didn't torque the cam bolt down nor locktite it either, the f***ers. I wanted to catch a Greyhound bus to Phoenix and chuck a brick through their window!!!-cuss So, that's why I really don't want to let a stranger work on any of my vehicles.

discbrks

Reaction score
I have an old set of injectors that came out of a 92.5 7.3... you can try them if you like. They ran fine, I just put in G codes. I also have a 93 turbo motor that has a full set of injectors that you are welcome to try.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to run it with the valve covers off. There is very little oil spittle at idle. You might see or hear something obvious.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the chuff, guys?

I am unfamiliar with the term....and I'm curious what other symptoms you are seeing? Performance?...etc ?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
GEEZE is this a frickin epidemic! The chuff sound is more likely to be a valve getting ready to take a leave of absence than it is an injector. I dont think i've ever heard an injector cause a chuff sound.
Be careful with that chuff sound man, or you'll be like me. Dropped valve city.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this basically a "miss"? Or in the case of a faulty valve, pressure blowing by the valve causing the noise?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... a faulty valve, pressure blowing by the valve causing the noise?

You got it. This means a valve is not seating. In an interference engine, that's a serious problem. Sometimes it's because a valve seat or piece of a valve is missing also, in which case it is less catastrophic, assuming the piece left "peacefully". LOL Not likely with a turbo downstream though. Worse case is a bent valve stem. This can cause a pushrod to turn into an alien, and burst through your... well you know.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what other symptoms are associated with this? Additional idle smoke possibly?

Well, with me, it's that sound (click here to hear a recording of it http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/jdnorton79/?action=view&current=100_0655.flv) and a very faint miss. It starts up on cold mornings without plugging it in no problem and it's got plenty get up and go. I get hardly any black smoke, thank god I never see any white smoke... I haven't checked my fuel mileage, though... Oh yeah, I do hear a lifter ticking, not bad though but it may not be related... That's about it...

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to run it with the valve covers off. There is very little oil spittle at idle. You might see or hear something obvious.
:hailWow, that is good to know, I'm glad to hear that, it makes it easier to observe the valve train while it is running. now I got another reason to like IDI engines! :D

Dropped valve city.

Now that would really suck! How long did the engine run from the beginning of the chuffing?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Here's a video of mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

I tried getting the hood open to get a bit of the intake chuffing sound, but it decided to throw a fit and wasnt letting me get it open. You can hear Lou Ferrigno in there beating the 20lb sledge hammers together though.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the vids and recordings. IT IS very obvious......and I'm not hearing it here! Fingers crossed!