The 50 mile commuter...

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying very hard to buy a Ford Focus Electric or Nissan Leaf... Ford is ignoring me (hence an email to the CEO), and Nissan dealers are gauging the price on Leaf. There are some amazing advertised specials, and as soon as you mention them, every dealer gets cold feet.

The Truck Norris F250 LWB XL Extended Cab with ZF5 is going back into service as a daily driver, and a 50 mile commuter road warrior.

What should I do to the truck prior to embarking on this daily adventure?

This is what I have done so far:
  • 2x New Batteries
  • New GP Controller
  • New Motorcraft/Beru GP
  • New Airfilter
  • New Fuel Filter
  • New Oil Filter
  • Oil Change
  • New Tires
  • New Calipers
  • New Pads
  • New Accessory drive belt
  • New PS Gear (RedHead)
  • New PS Pump
  • New A/C compressor / A/C overhaul
  • New Coolant and Coolant Flush
  • New Frost Plug with block heater

The lights are standard and weak -- relay mod is a must, with maybe LED fog lights?
Thinking about doing the $30 electric fuel pump mod, and removing the mechanical pump.

I am currently sporting XL bench seat. Not the most comfortable, or safe seat for that matter... I'd love some Bronco bucket seats... hard to find around here.

How about Front & Rear differential fluids? Transmission oil with an additive? Coolant filter? SCA check? I start my new job on the 9/30.

The radio is a dud. I wonder if I should spring some cash and get a new radio and some better speakers. Driver side inside door handle cable is broken.. I need a new junkyard door too -_-.. :thumbsup: dang. the list is getting bigger :eek:

oh, and speedo is dead, and tach acts out when the engine gets hot..

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carter is a bit expensive. I buy fuel pumps for $30.. It's the same fuel pump that runs my VW Vanagon.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 50 mile each way commute, i've changed all tje fluids except the front dif. put the proper zerex antifreeze in. got new tires and shocks on. next i will put new injectors in amd replace the ball joints and tie rods and call her good for the next 50k.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
big front air damn will help your mileage alot.
Also a guy in my home town parts out cummis trucks...180 hp p pump 14v can hear running for 1400! damn! 22 mpg all day

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were actually seriously considering buying a vehicle for the commute, get yourself a Mk4 VW TDI. You'll use a gallon of diesel getting to work and you can get them for ~4 or 5K.

Sorry for the non-truck content... ;)

Tim.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by the time you replace the clutch, timing belt and hpfp, you are looking at a $12k...

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 1980 diesel VW dasher, it was a great car, wish I hadn't sold it. Would get over 50 mpg all day long, it was a lot simpler than my TDI VW.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
if running a diesel isn't a requirement, I used to have a 91 geo metro hatchback with the 1.0l 3cyl and a 5 speed, got 55mpg in town and 60 on the hwy (got rid of it about 3 weeks before katrina, kicked myself ever since)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
50 mile round trip, or 1 way (100 total?) How many days a week?

50miles round trip * 5 days a week * 4 weeks = 1000 miles

1000 miles/17mpg (just averaging it) = 58.8 gallons of diesel

58.8 gallons diesel * $3.75/gallon = $220.58 of diesel a month.

I doubt you could get any sort of newer car and beat that with a car payement/insurance/fuel. A used car on the other hand, might benefit you. Geo's are awesome.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a safety issue with Geo Metro. It's 50 mile round trip along the beautiful I-40 to Little Rock. Bunch of crazy people putting on their makeup, eating their McMuffin, sipping on coffee, doing 70mph in stop on a dime traffic...
I really wanted an electric car -- Nissan advertises the Leaf S for $199/month, and Ford had a special on the focus for $250/month..... Don't mind paying for fuel, but hate the variance in fuel. Electricity is pretty static, in terms of cost.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I share your concern about safety. I commute over a mountain pass (Hwy 17) about 60 miles one way. Plenty of bad accidents. This is why I have kept the truck as the primary commuter. Considering almost all of what I have to contend with on my commute is Subarus and Priuses, I suspect I have a fighting chance against those.
In preparation for such daily driving, I would give your truck the same treatment you would for an extended trip - Make sure fluids are fresh and clean, replace anything that is marginal or on it's way out. I use the mechanical lift pump but I haven't had any problems with it.
I tend to not carry nearly as many spare parts and tools for commuting. I figure that worst-case scenario if I broke down near my office, my wife could come get me in her car. Cuts down substantially on weight, plus I don't have to get my work clothes dirty. :sly

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is also a safety issue with Geo Metro. It's 50 mile round trip along the beautiful I-40 to Little Rock. Bunch of crazy people putting on their makeup, eating their McMuffin, sipping on coffee, doing 70mph in stop on a dime traffic...

Don't forget the construction....diving in and put of lane shifts and narrow lanes half the drive.

I would seriously think about a hydro boost conversion. I just did mine and the stopping distance is much better and the pedal feels better. I felt quite a bit safer towing my travel trailer down the freeway this weekend with mine.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot all about that brake pedal feel, and the construction.... I just wish Ford would let me lease that Electric Focus.