Thanks Agnem, Exekiel69, 160K87F250

pafixitman

Reaction score
Thanks for coming over Saturday and wasting your entire day wrenching on my truck in 95 plus degree heat! :hail :hail

What was expected to be a couple hrs turned into an all day affair. :rolleyes: My worse fears were dashed and it looks like I have major fuel related issues. The chief surgeon and his talented team are confident it is injector related. We ended up cutting our losses and stopped replacing marginal injectors with marginal injectors. I will be getting 8 new injectors, return kit and a new line for #3.

We did run a compression check and found #3 and #5 are in the 300's compared to 450 - 500 for the others. Problem is, I do not know if it has been like this since I got her, or happened in SC. :confused:

pafixitman

Reaction score
argve said:
Can't remember but which hole was it that coughed up the push rod?

You have a 50/50 chance at getting it right!

#5. There is a thought that I have a head gasket issue between 3 and 5 since they are side by side.

I just need the truck running at this point. I have a local camping trip planned for Labor Day and I am submitting some bids for home improvement work that will keep me busy up to October. I need the truck to haul equipment and material. The good news is that if I get the work, I can afford some more in depth repairs over the winter if need be. If I don't get the job then ...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your thoughts about a head gasket problem is being used probably just because these 2 ajoining cylinders are low. Yes, this may be a problem but don't count on it for what it is or isn't. The thought that this was happening all along or did this happen in S.C. I don't see how something like a lifter problem could cause the low compression. Now it a valve hit a piston and damaged the valve or the piston.... Well that is something to look at much later if you pull the heads. I have a set of used pistons and 7 rods your welcome to just for the shipping. I also have a spare set of heads you can have rebuild and waiting if time is a problem. That way your that much farther along and not waiting for a machine shop to freshen up your heads. I just had my cam reground for $35.00 and if you want that phone number I can give that to you also. Just some thoughts to think over..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that convinces me that it is fuel related, is that when it first starts, it runs perfect for a few seconds, then starts to stumble and miss. By changing injectors, we were able to effect the problem, but not cure it. Only a perfect set of injectors will tell the tale now. No problem helping you out Joe. Glad I could make it.

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry that the set of injectors did not help out more. I did not expect to have 7 out of the 8 bad or marginal. I was hoping to find at least 4 in the set that would pop test good. I guess I will just be going in another direction. Not sure how SKimball was using these in his truck before he had other engine issues.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Joe, anytime :D now We can make another clinic when You get the new ste of injectors.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Squirreltow said:
I am sorry that the set of injectors did not help out more. I did not expect to have 7 out of the 8 bad or marginal. I was hoping to find at least 4 in the set that would pop test good. I guess I will just be going in another direction. Not sure how SKimball was using these in his truck before he had other engine issues.

WHAT?!? Yikes, I had no idea they were bad. Granted, I did have more major problems going on at the end there, but still... The guy I bought it from 11k before it died told me all that junk was pretty much new. I sincerely apologize. Maybe that helps explain the horrible mileage that truck got.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Hey Joe,
Thanks for having me and the rugrats over. We had a good time. If you can't get your truck fixed, I know where you can buy a real nice 87 F250 super cab. LOL LOL
John

pafixitman

Reaction score
The sad part John, is I was thinking...if I land this home improvement job...a work truck would be real nice; ladder racks, side boxes...IDI... ;Really

I do hate that my truck needs dual personalities. I would rather have it as a nice 5'r puller and not have to clean it out everytime I need to work or take a trip.

I also know of a nice super cab dually 5spd that I could probably buy...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin