testing coolant

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has turned winter here in Bemidji. This morning I took a draw with the anti-freeze tester and only 3 of 5 balls would float. This would indicate a freeze protection of only -10 degrees, not nearly enough. While in town I picked up some new ethylene glycol standard green antifreeze and also a bottle of NAPA Kool and some new test strips so I could be sure my SCA level was ok. Back in the shop later in the afternoon I dipped a couple test strips to see where my SCA level was before draining any coolant. The SCA level by color looked to be just right, then I looked at the middle pad (for freeze protection level) and it showed at least -34 degrees if not a bit beyond that (the next and lowest color being -60). Ph color seemed to match a neutral 8.

Both test strips changed color the same. I used the other tester again and still only 3 balls floating, 2 sinking to the bottom of the dropper.

So what do you guys think about these two very different test results? There is a big difference between -10 degree and -34 or a bit lower degree, especially when we will almost certainly dip into that -30 to -40 range during the winter. Do I drain some from the system and add some straight antifreeze and some NAPA Kool or call it good as is?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would vote add a little coolant and good to go. You already bought it and you aren't going to hurt anything by adding. Better to be certain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
strip. If I dont use strips I will turn to a refractometer. If you will definitely touch the -30 range, why not aspire for -60 protection?

A second point, why are you still using green?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny I ready "Bermuda" in for first line and thought ***? Growing up in Northern MN, I would definitely protect to -50. I tend to ignore the freeze testers because I always add half-and-half. That said, I find the fleetguard strips to be accurate. I would test the ball floaters with separate small mix of 50-50 in a jar and then you will know for sure.

Black dawg

Reaction score
how old is your ball tester? they dont last very long if not flushed out with water after every use. And hot coolant ruins them fast.

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still "green" because what is in there looks nice and clean.

It was cool (just started the first time and cooled down the second) when tested.

tester a couple years old.

will do a small 50:50 mix and see what it says as an experiment.

plan this afternoon to drain some and add some straight. Will then need to run it until warm and mixed and let it cool back down for a new test. Will report back.

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Results

Before: antifreeze tester floating 3 of 5 balls for -10 degrees
test strip showing 50/50 mix and -34 degrees, if not a bit lower
SCA level at a perfect ideal level
Ph a perfect neutral 8

First I mix in a measuring cup 100ml straight antifreeze and 100 ml water, stir for 30 seconds and test. Four balls at top and 5th ball makes a lazy ascent to also float, indicating -40 degrees for a 50/50 mix

Next I drained 2 gallons and 3 cups (measured with a measuring cup after it was in the bucket). To allow for there being no SCA in the antifreeze (and it even said on the label to add these for heavy duty diesel engine use) I added 3/8ths of a bottle (3/8ths of a pint) of NAPA Kool and 1 gallon and 15 cups of straight antifreeze. The last cup would not go in so I put it in the overflow container. Then went for a drive, returned and let it set and cool

After: Dropper test floated 4 balls with a lazy 5th finally floating, so by that method good for -40 degrees
Test strip shows the lowest level, -60 degrees
SCA level about half way between maintenance dose and ideal, maybe 1000 ppm (after the test I added another 1/4 bottle (1/4 pint) and will recheck another day)
Ph now a basic 9.5, so the antifreeze or the NAPA Kool raised the Ph.

Conclusion - I think I am safe for the winter now.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched over to the Detroit purple. I only did this because my cooling system drained with a recent block heater failure. Hopefully it doesnt blow anything up, but it helps to not have to worry about coolant additives.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is it that you do not have to worry about coolant additives? They get depleted with use, no? Are you saying the purple additives last until the next coolant change? Would you trust this? I am not trying to be nasty, I just want to know. I love the green stuff and I love to check SCAs once or twice a year. I guess this forum put the fear-of-god into me about cavitation.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can check the SCA's as the coolant goes along, but it is prechagred, nothing to do but fill the system with the coolant, no additives needed. Thats what I am talking about. Plus the stuff seems to be a bit slicker then green, it tends to dislodge debris, witch may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your situation. Whenever red/purple goes into a bucket, any sort of dirt or nastyness seems to be dislodged by it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online