Tenacity pays off?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been having a lot of issues with my truck lately, fuel delivery issues.

Got into a accident when I started having issues, lost pressure to my injection pump.
My fuel system is a complete gravity fed electric pump with two 5/8 male fittings welded to the bottom of both tanks with 1/2 returns welded to the top of the tanks.
So when delivery becomes an issue I am livid because that is not supposed to happen right? I designed that way.
Well it always is something simple when the wheels comes to a stop.
And it was.
What ended up happening was complete amazing.
The other day as usual I plug in my truck for a few hours and go out to start it. It just cranks.
I see my pressure gauge shows 6.5psi so ***?

I crack the 4 driver side injectors and crank, Battery getting low, it sputters, tighten injectors and crank and it sputters to life.
As it idles I see the fuel pressure drops to 2psi, so before it dies I shut her down.
I am out of fuel, that what it has to be. I hit the tank, yea its empty.

Ok I put fuel 8.8 gallons diesel and off to work I go.
80 miles round trip I get home and decide ok *** is going on
I see odd pressure so I pump out 7 gallons of fuel, ***?
Just went 80 miles! got into another accident too! guy brake checked me LOL!

Anyway Im starring at 7 gallons of fuel scratching my head and I had more fuel to go
cause I ran out of containers.

I have to go to work again no time to figure things out. I know I have 7 gallons so off I go.
another 80 mile round trip I buy 3.5 more gallons and add this trip.
that was yesterday.
Today this morning I decide to rip the tank out, I pumped out 6 gallons of fuel I bought 12 gallons
since Thursday.
Drove 160miles and still have 6 gallons.

The tank had a clogged feed hole, just some odd trash stuck in the hole, blew it out from inside the tank.

So my truck is getting some awesome mileage! 26mpg

What a relief for me! I can go back to burning WMO again, damn trash made it impossible to pump WMO but Diesel would pump through.
I had to remove the tank to find the issue.

Javier

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So you say its a gravity feed system. Why did you make that.. you do realive the injection pump has a small suction pump in it to pull fuel but... Its not really designed as a forwarding pump.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the OEM fuel lines and fittings are the easiest system to navigate and maintain? I got tired of the air intrusion and chasing it along with other issues.
Since the revamp air intrusion is long gone, and the simplicity of getting fuel from the tank to the engine is much easier to diagnose on the side of the HWY some place in BFE than to be trying to find olives or cracked fuel lines, All my lines are in the open and easy to look at, If I rolled up on you, ran out of fuel I can fill you up in 5 minutes with my system no problem.

I made it easy to work with out on the road. Of course a *** of debris just made go nuts for about 2 months LOL!

Not anymore! All cleaned out now, I did find a crack in my brass float so now I know why my gauge was acting ***** all this time.

Javier

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how an electric fuel pump wouldn't be just as good or better (Since self priming) than a gravity fed system? Maybe I'm missing something :dunno I put 20,000 miles on Ford and it never left me on the side of the road... I can see it being easier to work on but you really shouldn't have to work on your fuel system on a regular basis :dunno

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a gravity fed holley pump that feeds my injection pump. I took some pics today of my tank out on the floor, Im going to load them up and post them in a few.
So you getter a better idea how it works.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my truck is getting some awesome mileage! 26mpg

What a relief for me! I can go back to burning WMO again, damn trash made it impossible to pump WMO but Diesel would pump through.
I had to remove the tank to find the issue.

Javier

i hate to burst your bubble,but what do you suppose is more likely,that your dually with a non locking c6 trans w/od unit is getting mid 20's for fuel economy,or that your odo is off,or you have fuel transfer issues?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate to burst your bubble,but what do you suppose is more likely,that your dually with a non locking c6 trans w/od unit is getting mid 20's for fuel economy,or that your odo is off,or you have fuel transfer issues?

LOL! I bought 12 gallons on Thursday poured it into an empty tank, I drove 160+ miles, Then I removed my tank to source a fuel delivery issue Saturday that I found and I still had about 6.5 gallons left over.
I don't know what else to tell you...

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you notice the other tanks fuel level went down though,and or what condition is the selector vale in? and you drove 160 miles according to what?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you notice the other tanks fuel level went down though,and or what condition is the selector vale in? and you drove 160 miles according to what?

Look at my pictures I don't have a selector valve, I use a full time #10 tee at the bottom of my front tank.
No stinking valve needed. I can fill both tanks and suck it all the way down to 1/2 a gallon of fuel.
That is because it takes about a half a gallon of fuel to fill the feed and return lines.

I have to drive to work which is about 40 or so miles away from me, did that twice so two 80 mile round trips...

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.3l
banks 2nd gen sidewinder turbo
fmic
ip and injectors? reman/new? codes?
dually - what size and type tires?
c6 trans - stock stall?
gv od unit - reduces rpms but still no direct lock like manual trans or locking converter.
2wd truck?
3.55 gears
where is your timing set at?
what was your speed?
Florida is very flat so of course that helps.was this interstate? what speeds and rpms?
this is running solo of course,how much does the truck weigh empty?

there are many modern vehicles that cannot achieve 26 mpg.no modern pickup that im aware of can do this (nor any in the past and just a srw,let alone a dually) not only are we not computer controlled to dial things in anywhere near as efficient as a modern engine can,but your rolling an old school c6 trans and you have a dually pickup.you have to understand,most of us would love to get just mid teens with our duallies so please share all you can,despite how small and trivial you think something might be.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna force me to bang away at the key board! :backoff

7.3l
fmic<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<what the hell is that?
ip and injectors? reman/new? codes? local pump builder and EBAY G code Injectors
dually - what size and type tires? now they are 245/75/16
c6 trans - stock stall? low stall Ford Motorsport converter obsolete
gv od unit - reduces rpms but still no direct lock like manual trans or locking converter.
2wd truck? 2wheel
3.55 gears yes
where is your timing set at? Dunno a bit retarded of marks
what was your speed? 70 or so
Florida is very flat so of course that helps.was this interstate? what speeds and rpms?
this is running solo of course,how much does the truck weigh empty? empty it was 5980lbs has about 200lbs extra, but since I weighed it it has a lot missing too so who knows

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
fmic<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Front Mount Inter Cooler.
i don't see anything at all that helps me understand mid 20's economy,but i appreciate your time.thanks.;Sweet

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna force me to bang away at the key board! :backoff

7.3l
fmic<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<what the hell is that?
ip and injectors? reman/new? codes? local pump builder and EBAY G code Injectors
dually - what size and type tires? now they are 245/75/16
c6 trans - stock stall? low stall Ford Motorsport converter obsolete
2wd truck? 2wheel
3.55 gears yes
where is your timing set at? Dunno a bit retarded of marks
what was your speed? 70 or so
this is running solo of course,how much does the truck weigh empty? empty it was 5980lbs has about 200lbs extra, but since I weighed it it has a lot missing too so who knows

How does your truck only weigh 5980? My RCLB SRW weighed in at 6,250 :dunno

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does your truck only weigh 5980? My RCLB SRW weighed in at 6,250 :dunno

I had to weigh it when I bought it in 1999 and if I knew it would cost me as much to title it, it would of weighed 4980lb!
It was all stock with the turbo full interior.
Now it is missing most the interior and has tool boxes and 100g fuel tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online