temp gauge

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to install an aftermarket temp gauge. is there another place to install a water sender besides the one on the front LH head where the factory one is?

Also what about an easy place to get into the oil psi to do the same thing?

SKimballC

Reaction score
Thanks to icanfixall's suggestion, I put my temp sender in the top of the water pump. There's a square plug right on top. Can't miss it.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just as posted above, the plug in the water pump is the best location because this is the passgae that both heads send the coolant and "blend it" so the thermostat sees the same motor temp from the heads. What I did was install an Isspro EV 270* sweep mechanical gage in the original temp sender location located on the block between the injection pump and head on the drivers side. Then I moved that sender to the water pump location. If you have a Banks turbo you will need a special pipe bushing called a shoulderless bushing. I think it was a 1/2 x 3/4 bushing. Then grind down some of the sender threaded terminal end and add some wire because the original wire length wont reach. Easy and really great temp readings. If you use the large locations in the heads you will see temps about 7 degrees higher.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For an oil pressure gauge, you can get a brass tee and install it in the factory location, and run both senders.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guntherx, Just for clarification the sender on the head is for the over temp light sender not the temp gauge sender.

I believe there is a port by the oil filter, have look again.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guntherx, Just for clarification the sender on the head is for the over temp light sender not the temp gauge sender.

I assume you mean the one that is poking out horizontally behind the A/C. Then where is the temp sender????????

I believe there is a port by the oil filter, have look again.

for the oil psi right??