Tech-Time Mag probe not reading

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to time my pump using the Tech-Time 3300-S unit but no matter how the mag probe is positioned I cannot get a reading other than -20.00, which is an error code meaning the probe is positioned incorrectly or a connection is bad. I cleaned out the hole for the pickup and sprayed a dab of WD-40 in it and the probe seems to insert 'till it hits the damper and then I retract it just a hair but nothing has worked thus far. The end of the probe is clean, all connections look good, and I do get an accurate RPM reading from the transducer so I'm inclined to think the base unit is functioning properly.

The damper is relatively clean. No rust buildup or crusty crud. Just how clean does the damper have to be to get a reading? I assume the mag probe senses the groove across the damper and the base unit translates that signal--can a piece of magnetic tape be used? I lightly scraped and wire brushed the groove but still no reading. Any help is appreciated.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I get the -20 reading is when the probe is not inserted far enough. It is a PITA to get it in far enough, but it sounds like you have won that battle. You didn't damage it getting it in did you?
Try holding it next to the flywheel with vice grips and see if you can get a reading

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't damage it getting it in did you?

Not sure I would know. I cleaned out the hole with a drill bit and worked a paper towel in there to clean it as best I could. A drop of wd-40 to help get the probe inserted. It's a tight fit but seems right. I slid a piece of sandpaper between the damper and timing plate to try and keep the probe close but not touching. Is the offset supposed to be +20 or -20 degrees? FWIW when I stop the engine I will end up with a random degree reading on the meter. I contacted the company and they said I could send the probe in to have it tested but that's definitely plan C or D.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured it out. Around the middle of the mag probe is a thin piece of metal that collapses as you insert the probe and I guess it's there to hold the probe in place but it was preventing it from inserting fully. Once I removed the extra piece of metal everything worked just perfect. Turns out I'm a little bit retarded! About 1.5 degrees retarded I'd say. Tech Time 3300-s is a great deal if you can find a cheap military surplus unit like I did. $212 shipped to my door ain't bad.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry. I should have remembered that. I threw that thing away the first time I used mine and forgot it was ever there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance