TECH 101 TIming tape and timing!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've installed the timing tape for a 7" harmonic balancer, I am hoping it is correctly set for rotation of our engines:rolleyes:

First clean the harmonic really well and as I found it simplest to install from below that's where I worked. Clearly this engine was painted and not rotated when done LOL
You must be registered for see images attach

I also cleaned the timing tab up a bit too, in hopes of seeing the 0 mark...no such luck..thick paint! DOH!

Now I've got this tape setup here seen on my manual, I used the one for the 7" dampener

As you can see it sits quite nicely on the harmonic dampener

Now for reference the 0 mark is clearly seen on this front cover I have pulled off an engine. This is where my timing tape when setup and working with a clamp/light should line up 9-9.5 degrees BTDC OR just prior to the large 10
This is a reference shot so you know where your ZERO mark is!

And clearly it is quite visible while engine is running, this was at IDLE, however it is simple to see it when revving too.

My cheap ass timing light, has $8.00 tag from a flea market or a yard sale I don't recall :rotflmao

Meter with timing light connected

Here I've just used timing light and got a reading I tried doing rapid shots, no luck focusing on marks or anything so I shut it down, this is where the engine stopped. Shows up nicely and clearly isn't in way of magnetic slot for meter either!

As can be seen in the above image, the need for the 20 deg offset while using a MAG probe and a line clamp like on the Kent Moore J 33300 timing meter is clear. Notice that this image above has the 10 before and 10 after nearly perfectly lined up with the 0 and the mag probe hole...that is why we have to set meter to offset that amount as it reads from a different location than the 0 mark is at.

And that's where I am at, at this point,as I need to get some VIDEO next so hang on for a bit and I'll get Video once Superwifey can hold the phone while I run engine up and hold timing light...

Another comprehensive timing thread Tech 101 here
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...OR-TIMING-LIGHTS-Tech-101&p=700343#post700343

Hope you enjoy!

Al

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wots that fancy black box you got going on there

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wots that fancy black box you got going on there
That's my Kent Moore J 33000 Timing meter with line clamp and magnetic probe to time these engines.

It is the same meter Icanfixall has for his timing meter rental program.

I'm doing this tech for those whom don't have that luxury and can afford a Pulse sensor like a Ferret and a basic timing light.

This TECH 101 is a trial run of this procedure! My hopes are that it will allow others to time too!

Al

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have access to a really nice label printer that makes laminated labels. I have been wanting to make up a scale like that and print a bunch. When I get around to it I will post - I can mail out labels to those who want them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have access to a really nice label printer that makes laminated labels. I have been wanting to make up a scale like that and print a bunch. When I get around to it I will post - I can mail out labels to those who want them.

Well kewl, so Long as the spacing is correct that would work well. Just so you know these stickers are 6-10 bucks so not too bad of price.

You could make Official "Oil Burners" Timing tapes;Sweet:D

I'm still waiting to get video, been raining lots here and I don't feel like doing it in rain. It sucks so I'll get :love: ose to assist me when I can then post it.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well kewl, so Long as the spacing is correct that would work well. Just so you know these stickers are 6-10 bucks so not too bad of price.

You could make Official "Oil Burners" Timing tapes;Sweet:D

:D
Rev 1, scale is on the wrong side but you get the idea!

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My way was a LOT faster, no offense:

Step 1: call dieselcrawler

hee hee.

Awesome write up, now I can do myself!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:D
Rev 1, scale is on the wrong side but you get the idea!

FRICKEN SaaaWEEET!

Ya might want to hold off shipping box and send a few of those too!

That is once you have them dialed in!

That's just awesome!

I'll measure the width of mine so you have an idea and I'll see about a MAX width too since it's nice and clean under there!:D

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RW, if you can send me the ideal dimensions for the label I will print a bunch. We run 1" wide labels here but when we buy the printers they come with smaller widths. We don't use the narrower tapes so they are surplus :sly

I can print a bunch and send them to ya. Box on hold until next week. I'm traveling the next few days.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RW, if you can send me the ideal dimensions for the label I will print a bunch. We run 1" wide labels here but when we buy the printers they come with smaller widths. We don't use the narrower tapes so they are surplus :sly

I can print a bunch and send them to ya. Box on hold until next week. I'm traveling the next few days.

The label kit I got are 9/16" wide, I'd to up to at least 15deg or even 20 BTDC minimum. Mine go up to like 60 but we don't deal with changing advance much like in a distributor.

Let me check later today and I'll see what 1" does look like on the dampner, I'll go look at an engine I have easy access too and see what that's going to do if interfere with mag probe etc.
If you can get the timing Numbers closer to edge like my picture, you can see how much clearance there is from timing tab to edge of balancer!

Im sure you'll work this out just fine!

BTW guys...

GUYS...These are the ONLY stickers that can add MORE POWER to your truck...for real!

JM2CW

gandalf

Reaction score
What holds these labels on, Al? Are they a peel-off stick on type label? Wouldn't that eventually wear off, being out in the weather and all? Any possibility of making one on a magnetic strip, like a fridge magnet? That way you could remove it when you're done timing, and be sure to have it for the next time, or the next truck. The problems I see there are possible movement while in motion, and accuracy of initial placement. Might centrifical force overcome the magnet?

Just a thought.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because I have too much time on my hands... A commercial printer could do a much nicer job (resolution) and add color but this site would have to order those. I don't even know if this site has a store :confused: I have to check... maybe a tee shirt?

Gandalf - the labels (mine and Al's) are peel-off stick with a laminated top. We use these for putting asset and calibration labels on all kinds of equipment. They are very durable if you get the surface clean first. Not sure if they would last 20 years though...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online