TCM location

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the TCM located on our trucks? I've been searching for the past hour to find out where it is. I am bout to hit up a junkyard for a turbo TCM , and trans fluid level tube

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its located behind the drivers side floor kick panel thats behind the parking brake pedel... Really hard to get out too. The multi wire plug in located in the engine compartment very low driver side next to the fender cab joint. Its about 8 inches long and 1 inch wide with one bolt in the middle of it holding it to the firewall half of the connecter. Its not a fun job to get it out... Once you have the crap thats covering it you will see just whats left to remove. you feel like your never going to be done with it. I hope this is what you needed. This unit is called a cpu... Its the computer that controls the E4OD operation any. It needs 3 or 4 electrical imputs to tell the trans what to do for any given time...

Black dawg

Reaction score
to get it out of an obs truck, pull the inner fender down out of the way. On the pre 92 trucks it comes out from inside the cab

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did come away with the dipstick tube....but someone had already taken the dipstick, but not the tube....who does that? so I need to try to find one of those.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is why do you need a turbo-specific TCM? Won't a regular TCM work for you? It don't know if engine is turbocharged or not either way, it only drives the trans based on input from sensors that are the same between turbo and n/a trucks... Or is the programming different, like for line pressure and shift points?

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I understand the programming is different for the turbo's vs the non turbo trucks.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I was told the programming was better for the idit, but I was also told the ecms were not interchangeable.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even in the powerstroke trucks? do you know anything about compatibility as mentioned above?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
PSD's do not have a TCM. Ford changed to a PCM9 Power train Control Module). The PCM controls both engine and transmission in one unit.

PCM and TCM are not compatible. Two totally different animals.

Black dawg

Reaction score
PSD's do not have a TCM. Ford changed to a PCM9 Power train Control Module). The PCM controls both engine and transmission in one unit.

PCM and TCM are not compatible. Two totally different animals.

Do you know if the e40d tcm are interchangable through the years?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the e40d tcm are interchangable through the years?

I have a set of PDFs that deal w/ E4OD diagnostics and repair, they claim that the '94 TCM can be installed in place of all old models, and is preferred due to its increased base line pressure (from 60 to 70 psi), better line pressure rise, and removal of lockup in 2nd gear (which some earlier TCMs did). Part numbers listed are:

7.3L Diesel F series, Econoline all 50 states: #F4TZ-12B565-AA
7.3L Diesel F series, Econoline high altitude only: #F4TZ-12B565-CA
7.3L Diesel Super Duty all 50 states: #F4TZ-1 2B565-BA
7.3L Diesel Super Duty high altitude only: #F4TZ-12B565-DA
7.3L Turbo Diesel F series all states and altitudes: #F4TZ-12B565-EA
7.3L Turbo Diesel Super Duty all states and altitudes: #F4TZ-12B565-FA

It appears to me the difference between turbo and non-turbo trucks comes in due to altitude settings - non-turbo has two TCMs to reflect that, whereas turbo trucks generally don't care for altitude so they only get one TCM. What I find interesting is the presence of specific F-Superduty TCMs - what's special on the F-Superduties that makes them unable (or at least unsuitable) to use regular F-series and Econoline TCMs?