tcase drain stripped

dulcevendetta

Reaction score
so my drain plug and fill plug on my tcase are both stripped to hell...it looks like someone took an impact to them -cuss anyways i was wondering what you guys suggest? I would drill the sucker if it wasn't for the shavings, would about if i put some grease on the drill bit???

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
If its just the plug I would tack a bolt to it. Ifirc thats a metal plug threaded into aluminum.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing about 5 years ago when I was changing the fluid. If it is like mine, there wasn't anything for you to grab ahold of. It wasn't a square head sticking out, it was a square hole that you stuck a 1/2" ratchet in. I found that if you use a crappy extension, it is really easy to strip them out, but if you use a good high quality ratchet with a good, hardened, square shouldered 1/2" drive then it will make it easier to get out, I had to do the same thing to get the plug out of my rearend to refill it.

Anyway on the transfer case I found a piece of square stock that was bigger than the hole and ground it down to fit in the square hole perfectly and really tight, after I got those stinking things out, I went to the hardware store and bought 2 new plugs with square heads on them that stuck out instead of in. Now I can grab it with vice grips if something goes wrong.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If the square hole is still somewhat there and you don't have access to welding equipment, take am extension you don't like and clean up the hole real good and JB weld the extension into the hole and let it sit overnight before trying to remove it. Remember , Aero Kroil is your friend for all things stuck.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aero Kroil stinks to high heaven and doesn't work for **** compared to CRC screwloose. Screwloose does in 10 seconds what Kroil takes an hour to do. Plus Screwloose doesn't stink your shop out.

I'm not a big snap-on or Mac fan, but some of thier tools are pretty handy. Snap-on and I'm sure others, actually make tools for this. They are short extensions with a nice slightly tapered, sharp cornered square on them. I have yet to run into a butchered, stripped square drive aluminum plug that the tools won't remove with ease.

If it really won't budge, put some heat to it. Use an IR thermo and keep it under 400 degrees. Get her hot and it'll practically fall out.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a similar issue on the tempoary BW 1356 I'm using on my '86. The drain was put in by a goon with an impact. When I remove it and replace it with my rebuilt 1345, I will get it out with heat and/or a drill. I'll replace it with a square head plug instead.

I'm afraid you may have to remove the T-case to get them out as you may need the heat of a torch, a vice, and a larger square rod than the "stock" opening.

Heath

sassyrel

Reaction score
Aero Kroil stinks to high heaven and doesn't work for **** compared to CRC screwloose. Screwloose does in 10 seconds what Kroil takes an hour to do. Plus Screwloose doesn't stink your shop out.

I'm not a big snap-on or Mac fan, but some of thier tools are pretty handy. Snap-on and I'm sure others, actually make tools for this. They are short extensions with a nice slightly tapered, sharp cornered square on them. I have yet to run into a butchered, stripped square drive aluminum plug that the tools won't remove with ease.

If it really won't budge, put some heat to it. Use an IR thermo and keep it under 400 degrees. Get her hot and it'll practically fall out.

simply suggesting using crc is sufficient---