TC lockup Mod.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that was not mentioned was when going down a steep hill and apply the brakes, the TC will stay locked and in effect the engine compression will help with braking. Also it's better to NOT use the TC lock below 40 MPH creates heat, below that speed the compression braking is NOT effectual.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Now I was in the can this morning pondering what I wanted to put on her for an aftermarket cooler.

My truck HAD AC, but I think AC is for wimps and girls LOL. It's drained and the compressor is just taking up space under the truck. Can I use the AC condensor as a transmission cooler? It's already mounted in there, it's pretty massive and wouldn't be that hard to do. What do y'all think?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goofy, do you have any pictures? I know it's just a wiring mod, but a schematic, some pictures, some diagrams or something would allow me to make a good tech article out of this.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
10 - 4 Mel. I will work on getting pictures, a wiring schematic and everything for a tech article. It might not be until tonight as I have to yank and replace a 3/4 full fuel tank in 10 minutes, but I will do my best!

I really ran the truck today on the highway headed to the city for parts....about a 2 hour run total and I got to say what a difference!!!!!

It runs SOOOO much better with the manual unlock engaged around town, and when I hit the highway just flick the cover up, turn the switch on and cruise!! My converter seems to NOT slip at ALL anymore, since I did the mod and added the Lucas to her.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I was in the can this morning pondering what I wanted to put on her for an aftermarket cooler.

My truck HAD AC, but I think AC is for wimps and girls LOL. It's drained and the compressor is just taking up space under the truck. Can I use the AC condensor as a transmission cooler? It's already mounted in there, it's pretty massive and wouldn't be that hard to do. What do y'all think?

Hook it up, then do a test on it to see how much oil goes thru it in ten seconds. Should be about a quart. Stick the return line in a 5 Gal. bucket then have someone start the engine and time it. Just remember, once you put oil thru it, it won't be any good for A/C anymore. The oil that goes thru there returns to the tranny for LUBE and COOLING only. Do the test with the oil warmed up.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing that was not mentioned was when going down a steep hill and apply the brakes, the TC will stay locked and in effect the engine compression will help with braking. Also it's better to NOT use the TC lock below 40 MPH creates heat, below that speed the compression braking is NOT effectual.
Yes, that is indeed a downside of the interrupter relay, you can't have both wheel braking and engine braking at the same time. There's really no simple way around this tho, if you want the safety margin a relay provides that is. Ideally I'd like the converter to stay locked above 35mph whenever I flip the switch, and under 35 it should be unlocked all the time regardless of switch position, which would be a very easy thing to do if I find a switch that is speed-sensitive somehow. I know aftermarket controllers allow you to do that, but those are way beyond the scope of this project. Now, I guess I could use the SS1 and SS2 signals to trigger a set of relays so the converter stays unlocked in 1st and 2nd gear regardless of the manual switch position...

Tis exactly how my truck is set up, for a while I actually ran the A/C condenser alone without the in-rad heat exchanger, but my fan is locked to the water pump so I get good airflow through it all the time.

Goofy, do you have any pictures? I know it's just a wiring mod, but a schematic, some pictures, some diagrams or something would allow me to make a good tech article out of this.
I got some wiring diagrams I made a while back, see if these help you any:

1)
attachment.php

This is your basic on/off switch, it completely overrides the PCM control, but at the same time it feeds it a dummy signal in case the thing actually complains about not "seeing" the TC (Jeremy "Pipeliner86" had that issue in his new IDI, at least one person on FTE experienced it too, both of these are '92-up trucks tho). When you cut the purple/yellow wire and extend it to the cab the end that comes from the transmission is marked in red in my diagram, and the end that goes to the PCM is in blue. Parts in gray are optional - red LED will light up when converter locks up, green LED comes on when you switch to factory PCM control. This is how my own truck is done.

2)
attachment.php

This is the lock-auto-unlock setup, now we have a 5-pole relay as part of the circuit, also no indicator LEDs cause I never got around to them but some can be fashioned in a manner similar to the first diagram. Different colors indicate different current paths during each mode selection - blue is manual unlock, red is auto, and green is manual lock.

These diagrams do not include the interrupter relay tied in the BOO switch we discussed earlier here, I can easily add it tho...

It runs SOOOO much better with the manual unlock engaged around town, and when I hit the highway just flick the cover up, turn the switch on and cruise!! My converter seems to NOT slip at ALL anymore, since I did the mod and added the Lucas to her.
This is exactly what that FTE person with the gasser F250 reported back after the mod - and oddly enough, he did this mod for the exacts same reasons as you, random converter shudder.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I just wasn't sure if the lower torque and higher rpms mattered. I think I will give it a shot this weekend when I get home

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mkay, let me run this by you guys, it has to do with what Oldbull8 said about the TC remaining locked while the brakes are engaged - this is not possible if the interrupter relay is tied into the brakes circuit, however what if it's triggered by the solenoid pack itself? This is the shift solenoids operation as controlled by the PCM:

1st gear: ss1 on ss2 off
2nd gear: ss1 on ss2 on
3rd gear: ss1 off ss2 on
4th gear: ss1 off ss2 off

Now, we don't want lockup at low vehicle speeds, which means we only want to allow it in 3rd and OD, right? Well, it looks like SS1 is the ticket for this, as it's on though both 1st and 2nd gear, and goes off in 3rd and OD - say I give my interrupter relay 12V key-on power at pin #85, then run a wire from pin #86 down to the transmission harness and tie it into the wire for SS1 - this way whenever the PCM grounds the SS1 circuit to trigger the shift solenoid itself (so all through 1st and 2nd gear), it will also ground the master circuit of my interrupter relay thus triggering the relay and disabling converter lockup regardless of the position of my manual switch. Then when the transmission shifts into 3rd and later in 4th gear and SS1 goes off, the relay will disengage too, thus restoring continuity towards the lockup switch. The current needed to keep a Bosch-style relay energized is very very small, so I highly doubt the PCM will notice there's something piggybacked to its SS1 circuit, if it even looks at voltages or currents there to begin with...

So, what ya think?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
LCAM: in our IDIs I think that will work, but I don't think you would get away with it in a stroke, the retarded computer is to smart for it's own good.

If only we could come up with a manual valve body for an E4OD.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The TC switch mod is very popular with gasser guys and the Gen1 Lightning guys in general. I've seen people use the AC condenser as a transmission cooler and they work really really well...Git R Done!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LCAM: in our IDIs I think that will work, but I don't think you would get away with it in a stroke, the retarded computer is to smart for it's own good.
Actually the trick with the PSDs is to feed the PCM a dummy signal, I have that setup in my truck (the 22k resistor) and I got the idea from a 2000 PSD with a manual converter control. So as long as the PCM receives that signal, it will be happy, as it thinks the converter is still under its control (at least the 7.3 PCMs do that).

If only we could come up with a manual valve body for an E4OD.
Yah, I know - the problem is that most manual valve bodies run full line pressure all the time, which the E4OD cannot handle for prolonged periods of time, IIRC it's the forward clutch that breaks from it. Of course the line pressure control is done through a variable-force solenoid, so it's not easy to make that work - if we can devise a way to link the EPS to the FIPL on the IP then it may work. Shifting the VB itself manually is easy, just use the MLPS wiring with some diodes added to it to trigger a set of relays (one for SS1, one for SS2, and one for the coast clutch that needs to stay engaged in 1st through 3rd but disengage in OD) to fire the shift solenoids 1-2-3, then OD goes on a switch like it is now and so does the TCC. Add a ratchet shifter and it will be very easy to operate. Again tho, we need either a way to link the EPS to the FIPL, or an aftermarket replacement for that clutch or whatever that can actually handle full pressure all the time..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a great thread and the diagrams are great. Let's finish hashing it out, and then if Goofy would like to repost with the diagrams (and proper credit of course) we can convert it to a tech article.