E4OD TC engagement

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Sounds as if you could find that connection from the control module to the brake light circuit, and reroute it to an SPDT relay, which would connect it to +12VDC when the LED brake lights are energized, and connect it to ground when they are not. Or, just put a bulb in parallel...
haha, yes, I could, I picked up some Grote filament housings at the local parts store for 3$. Going to wire them in tomorrow... if I dont free my hands off in the process.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could swap out your brake switch from a superduty 99-2010, they bolt right on and have an extra wire for ground. When the pedal is at rest it grounds out the brake light circuit and when you push the pedal it switches 12v to the brake lights. With this switch you could have no brake lights and the tcm will operate correctly.

BBB

Reaction score
I tried to replace a tailight with a led in my 1992. Put led on left side. And when I turned my right turn signal on it would kick the TCC and the cruise off immediately!

ISPKI

Reaction score
I tried to replace a tailight with a led in my 1992. Put led on left side. And when I turned my right turn signal on it would kick the TCC and the cruise off immediately!
Thats...weird. Mine doesnt do that but then mine doesnt have cruise control either.

JParson

Reaction score
I second the LED brake lights. Take the LED's out and put incandescent bulbs in it. Also make sure the third brake light is working on top of the cab. TC lockup is controlled by the braking circuit as mentioned above. Quick way to burn up a good TC.

ISPKI

Reaction score
I wired an incandescent bulb into the rear of the truck, one on each side of the truck.

Did a 200 mile drive across state, drove well but no change in behavior.

When I got back I check the function of the third brake light on the top of the cab. It illuminates when my doors open but not when I hit the brake pedal.

Inside my junction box at the rear of the truck where all my tail light connections are made is a rogue black wire that isnt hooked up to anything. I have never known what this is but maybe that is the wire for the third brake light? I had assumed the connection for that would have been way back at the fuse panel instead of going to the rear of the truck, but maybe I am wrong.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it does lock it should unlock fairly quick. The TCM is programed to keep the engine from bogging down and burning up the converter clutch.

Reset the TPS and try again. Hit the OD OFF button before you hit the grade. Sometimes this helps. The TCM program isn't the greatest.
I once read an explanation that claims it will lockup again at WOT to prevent the transmission from overheating. By the time you're on the floor, it should have kicked down anyway. Never drove an OEM equipped E4OD to test this myself though.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're welcome to try mine :)

Though iF i hear all that, you might think that certainly when you often are loaded heavy, or pull heavy trailers in the mountains, you're better off with a manual gearbox?

Black dawg

Reaction score
I once read an explanation that claims it will lockup again at WOT to prevent the transmission from overheating. By the time you're on the floor, it should have kicked down anyway. Never drove an OEM equipped E4OD to test this myself though.
All of the idi trucks I have messed with will lock up near wot and at a certain rpm, even if the tail lights are not connected

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online