TC gone bad.......Need suggestions

Strokin_A_Duramax

TS Performance Groupie
Reaction score
I've posted this in the 7.3L Thread with no response...Need suggestion quick...Here is what I posted....

Hey guys I think my TC is going up.....Should I let Ford put a new one in it (it is still under warranty) or should I put in a high performance one....Any suggestinons???? Any reccomendations??? Pro-loc???? ATS????

Just a little update...My truck acts as though the torque convertor isn't locking up...I checked to see if it was full of oil today...Hmmmm...Not good...Oil was blackish, and smelled really bad. Keep in mind that I currently have 26,000 miles on it. I had the valve body mods, and the oil and filter changed at 20,000 miles......Going to Trans. Shop on monday morning to see what they think....Going to talk to them and the local dealer to see if they will sublet the trans problem to the trans shop instead of a RR with a factory trans....I know this is being done with engine work to Scheid Diesel.....My local Ford dealer is a Heavy truck dealer, and has two top notch powerstroke Mechs., and another mech.that works on them too. They usually are backed up with work and have a wait of 2-3 weeks... One of their top Mech. will be out for 4-6 weeks for a operation...So I hope this will help my plea to get them to sublet the work out....This trans shop is really good and I know that once they rebuild and beef it I will have no more problems....As they have done many powerstroke trans.. with good success.......:confused:

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Dude thats a tough decition with the power your putting down... If its stillll under warrenty I'd save my money and go back factory...and next time go with a Suncoast or BTS

just my $.02

jjeepyjohn

Beer Kindasewer
Reaction score
Better yet..why dont you try this,,
If they will sublet the work to the tranny shop,see if the tranny shop will install a Suncoast instead of rebuilding it.the total cost should be about the same and any diff in $$ could be made up for by you(which shouldnt be much).This way you get a tranny with 3 year unlimited mile and power warranty(I believe thats correct).With the new tranny comes a new converter race or tow and a new tranny cooler. along with a mag hi-tech pan.I'd tryt and go that route if possible.Good luck,John

Ggg

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that they will check for codes and they will see the telltale chip codes, and see that you had, or have had a chip, the 8" lift and the big tires, aftermarket intake, wicked wheel, trans shift kit, and the IDM might get spotted if the tech is sharp. So I would say it is a very good chance your warranty will be voided. Aside from that I agree with jjeepyjohn, either BTS or Suncoast in that order. I have known a couple Suncoasts to fail and only one BTS. With that said Suncoast has always been great on warranty as well as BTS. I can not comment on ATS due to nobody I know has them. If you must go with a Ford rebuild and if they will allow a aftermarket TC then a Precision Stallion or a Suncoast Pro-loc, depending on what type lock up clutch style you want. I would also insist on Schaeffer's trans fluid, a V-10 or 25,000# or bigger trans cooler, and a inline filter. Best of luck

sagebel

Reaction score
When my TC started to go, it would rattle whenever you shut off the truck. Just remember, if the TC is starting to come apart those metal pieces are now throughout the valve body. I had a hard time deciding what to do with my truck and in the end just sucked it up, whipped out the credit card and bought proven reliability. Before I bought the BTS, I asked around all of the local shops and described what I planned to do with the truck. They all said that my goal of 350-400rwhp was too extreme to warranty. Cost was going to be about the same as the BTS with shipping and me installing. None would use the parts that I wanted and insisted on increasing line pressure electonically with a chip or trans command. This may not be the case in your area but it is what I experienced here. I have yet to regret the decision. If your truck still runs or you have another vehicle take the time to do your research.

Strokin_A_Duramax

TS Performance Groupie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys...I am going to the trans shop in the morning to let them check it out....The owner is real sharp...They are hooked up with suncoast, and I belive that he is on suncoasts board of advisors.....They do excellent work...I know a couple of trans. they have done in powerstrokes and have held up. They have a unlimited mileage/ horsepower warrenty too. they use proloc TCs....They also mod the valvebody, pump, and use five clutches instead of the factory three..They also will change the lockup from a pulse type back to the old in/out type...He told me before that a complete rebuild would cost $2500. Thats me droping it off and picking it up....

If it has to go back to the dealer the chip will come out and the codes will get cleared. (they have the code scanner at the trans shop)They won't see the WW. They can't tell the IDM has been modded.They also can't tell that the valvebody has been modified. I just told them that I had the trans. shop change the oil and filter at 20,000 miles.

As I said the one thing that might help me is that they are usually about 2-3 weeks backed up with work.The one tech that will be out is a buddy of ours.(he has a modded powerstroke too) The other Tech is pretty good about stuff too. They usually overlook stuff as long as the ford reps don't come down that day.

I will keep you guys posted after tommorrow.

Strokin_A_Duramax

TS Performance Groupie
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!

Thank You guys for all your help....

Ok guys I went to the Trans shop today they said my TC was fried I went to my dealer, and talked to the service manager...He is cool....He said that they can no longer sublet out work....plus they couldn't because they were a tier 1 dealer....Which means that if they can't do it it can't be done...He however told me he would work with me to get it replaced under warrenty. He also said if I brought him aftermarket parts he would install them....

The for warranty has changed and I will post what I found out in the Ford 7.3 forum under New Ford Warranty claims..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726