Talk to me about alternators.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
It's very difficult to get one from the junkyard.....I had to walk past about 8 of them before i decided i wanted one... :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If youve added a bunch of electric fans or other extra electric goodies, even a 3g may not keep up at full load. Before spending any cash, break out a pencil and figure up a load estimate for everything running at once and see if a 3g is going to handle it in stock form.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The posting above makes good sence. Adding another larger alternater has to be able to handle the load put on it. Figureing out what the maxium load will ever be placed on the chargeing circut is the first place to start working.. The see if your belts will handle the new load placed on them. Some alternaters have two matched belts driving them. Many just have one belt driving them. Also look at the size of the pulley on the alternater. That makes a big differance on the serpentine belt engines more so than on a V belt engine. The larger the pulley the more surface area it has on the belts no matter what style you have. Plus a small pulley will spin faster than a large pulley spin the alternater...