Talk to me about alternators.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1 wire powermaster alt 140amp, it will take the batt voltage guage to a little less than 13v at idle which is pretty good.. iirc it takes them to 14v at 2000rpm ish with all the accesories going

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the 110-555 Leece-Neville, they are available in just about any decent truck-stop, 7-days a week, 24-hours a day.

And, there is just the COOL factor of having that big dynamo under the hood. :)

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
i usta have alternator problems and still did after gm conversion bc the lite gm alternator would over heat and shut off replaced it with a huge one i found in parts truck i bought never had a problem since . then i rewired the hole truck from grill to tail light harness went back to the big ford externaly regulated havent had a problem in 2 years outher than the one time i took my regulator out put it in tractor and it dident work when i put it back. moral of the story is its probly not the alternator replace the hole alternator harness. or rebuild it iv got a pile of alternators from multipul vehicals that work fine but only worked for a few days when they were put in my truck

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Bringing this one back up for the experts...

My 1G is dying (I think) and i have a 3G laying around. My question is do i have to reclock the back case to make it fit or can i bolt it in and wire it up and go?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I just did my 130 amp 3G swap today, piece or cake! Got it off a 92 E250 with a 300-6 so its a direct bolt in. Just a couple wires and done. Just look at your mounting points to see if it needs clocked
You must be registered for see images attach

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Bringing this one back up for the experts...

My 1G is dying (I think) and i have a 3G laying around. My question is do i have to reclock the back case to make it fit or can i bolt it in and wire it up and go?

I reclocked mine just to make things easier to hook up (mine came from a Taurus with a 3.8, so it might have been clocked different). Make sure u have an inline mega-fuse to handle the load, upgrade the charge wire from the alt to solenoid (i re-routed some wires on mine so its a bit different), and add a dab of locktite to the pulley nut, as i and a few others had to shim the pulley with a washer to get it to clear the case (v-belt).

i had a write up somewhere, wonder where it went...

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your battery cable condition and the connectors first. You might not be getting the full charge to your batteries when the engine is running. I had a recent issue with my 96 Bonneville, had to cut back the wire (cable) and recrimp. Now I have brighter lights and the voltage guage is back up where its' supposed to be (close to 14v).

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
It's not my charge wire.... I just recently made a new 4ga charge with going through a 150 breaker. It goes direct to the battery.

I think it's dying cause my interior lights pulse (dim-bright-dim-bright) when engine rpm is above 1100.....

I was mainly asking because of the connectors. If it will clear as is, I don't want to mess with it cause i don't want to break it. Mine also came from a Taurus with a 3.8L.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Also, is there a way to tell the 95A from the 130A just by looking at it? I couldn't find any numbers on the case...

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Oh i was already convinced... :D

Thanks a bunch for the links! Got my 3g tested (passed 3 times in a row), so we're good to go!

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Once i complete the conversion I'll have two alternators laying around... A 1G and one off a 92 Plymouth Sundance... Can either of these be converted to 120VAC generators?

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can buy a 3g from advance brand new for $130 if anyone is interested after you return the "core"

i might do that, although it doesn't sound like finding a 3G alternator is very difficult

also here
http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/collections/alternators

with a copy/paste of a post at full size broncos it should be very easy to find a 3g
All of these Ford vehicles had the 130amp 3G

(1994-95) Ford Mustang 5.0L
(1994-00) Ford Mustang 3.8L
(1994-97) Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar 3.8L
(1990-95) Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable 3.8L
(1993-99) Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable 3.0L
(1995-98) Ford Windstar 3.8L & 3.0L
(1991-94) Lincoln Continental 3.8L
(1992-97) Ford F Series Pickup
(1992-96) Ford E Series Van

who am i kidding, i'm a tightfisted fool. i'm going to the junkyard:D

Last edited: