Takeing airfliter out

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
Freind of mine was saying I can take the airfliter out of my truck and I'll get 6mpg better and can hear the turbo wine more. Will this Hurt anything if I do it? I don't want to mess up my turbo an didn't know if dirt would get in it and mess it up cuz there is no filter.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
6mpg better.....Yeah right!

You don't want to run without and air filter though. The air filter is the most important filter on any engine.

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
That's what I thought and I tryed to tell him that but thought I would ask just so I can have some more proof for him thanks srry for asking a stupid question like that

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An engine will treat you just as good as you treat it. Feed it a bunch of dirt and when it quits on you beside the road then you can eat dust as you are walking home

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from being very bad for the engine, I fail to see how this would improve fuel economy by any noticeable amount. I ran a K&N filter for a while and it didn't amount to a single bean, let alone a hill of them (and yes, I did find some dust that was getting through). I run a Fram paper element now and it works just fine with identical mileage results.

The thing is, when you are cruising light or otherwise driving gently, the engine doesn't really need all that much air. Its when you're rolling coal up the side of a mountain that the difference becomes more measureable, but by then you will be drinking fuel anyway.

As an experiment on an engine you didn't care about, it might be interesting but not on a truck you want to keep. My hunch is it would be hard to separate the increase in fuel economy from any sources for error that come from driving conditions.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'll bet this guy that told you that did it to his rig and it really did get that much better mileage but.... Just how dirty was the filter before he removed it. Your not asking a stupid question. Removing the air filter may just be a stupid thing to do.... Glad you didn't try this and then post here why your engine crapped out on you in the middle of nowhere... On a Sunday nite.... In the rain.... and no cell coverage....:eek::angel::sly

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I bought my first financed truck off a Ford dealer's used lot, paid a hefty down payment on a Ranger with 90k miles on the clock.

While driving it home the check engine light came on literally 10 minutes after I signed the papers on it. Started running real rough, so I took it back and told the nice salesman that there was something wrong with the truck.

He said "Sorry bud, you didn't get a warranty on the truck, and you signed right here on the contract that the vehicle is "as is."

So I took it to the tire/maintenance shop I worked at, and the senior mechanic checked the code "mass air flow sensor fail" So we opened up the air box and found it empty, NO FILTER! Well, the MAF was obliterated by rocks and crud... it actually had little pebbles embedded in it. Needless to say that motor had ingested some crap. New MAF cost me almost $300, and I couldn't trust the engine anymore to save my life.

At 110k miles she dropped a valve and windowed the block. Over the next six months I paid the bank off and sold the truck to a guy for $800.

Moral of the story... Always, always, always run an air filter... ;Sweet

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I watched a buddy take a BRAND NEW air filter like this one...

You must be registered for see images attach

and cut the cone off with a ginsu knife!!:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

This was in high school, he thought it was a good idea, I tried to stop him from trying it... he didn't listen. A week later of this instead of receiving a 6 mpg increase he was making only 6 mpg in a 3 year old f-150. Ruined the motor AND a perfectly good air filter. If your friend thinks its such a good idea to go filterless let him do it, then kick back and watch the mayhem!:popcorn

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my first financed truck off a Ford dealer's used lot, paid a hefty down payment on a Ranger with 90k miles on the clock.

While driving it home the check engine light came on literally 10 minutes after I signed the papers on it. Started running real rough, so I took it back and told the nice salesman that there was something wrong with the truck.

He said "Sorry bud, you didn't get a warranty on the truck, and you signed right here on the contract that the vehicle is "as is."

So I took it to the tire/maintenance shop I worked at, and the senior mechanic checked the code "mass air flow sensor fail" So we opened up the air box and found it empty, NO FILTER! Well, the MAF was obliterated by rocks and crud... it actually had little pebbles embedded in it. Needless to say that motor had ingested some crap. New MAF cost me almost $300, and I couldn't trust the engine anymore to save my life.

At 110k miles she dropped a valve and windowed the block. Over the next six months I paid the bank off and sold the truck to a guy for $800.

Moral of the story... Always, always, always run an air filter... ;Sweet

And read the fine print!:eek:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As everyone else said, running the engine without an air filter is a bad idea...at the very least, you're almost certain to get dust into the cylinders, which can't be good for the rings or for the oil if the dust gets past the rings and into the crankcase...

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I knew a guy who took the air filter out of his car. His exact excuse was "I asked myself how I'd wanna breathe, through a filter or not. So I took it out"

Barely 2 months later I noticed he was getting a ride to work, so I asked why. All he would say was "I think the engine's seized up." Turns out it was! LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Perhaps your friend was trying to mess with you. To retaliate him he needs to clean the engine by draining the oil and filling it up with water and running it.

Also tell him he needs to pay you to work on his vehicles as he doesn't know anything.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Oh boy :rolleyes:, You have to get better friends LOL jk

Remove Your air filter and You'll hear that turbo alright, remember to carry a spare engine behind the seat in case this one gets worn in a hurry.

Gallon of diesel $4
air filter $30
The look in Your face when You hear that turbo POP! Priceless LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online