tack sensor

1992F-250IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know where i can get a tack sensor mine has never worked in my truck as long as i have had it and i was at my local napa and a they cant even find it in there book:confused: any info would really help thanks josh

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Ford only part. Might run you $50 to $75.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford only item. Per the parts bin in the tech section above:

Ford part number: E5TZ-17B384-A (TACH SENSOR ASY ALL YEARS)

Heath

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I just spent about $80 at ford for mine. It's nice to have a fully functioning dash cluster again.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
I got lucky at the junkyard and found one. I didn't even know if it worked. The guy didn't really know what it was, he charged me $10. I put it in my truck and wouldn't you know, it works great. The wires are in better shape then the one I had in there, and mine was on it's way out. When it was cold it didn't work. and when it was warm it showed 200 rpm less then what I was running.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Where does it go? My isn't working either :/

It's right next to your oil fill hole. Just look to the right of it. There's a plug there with a couple of wires sticking out. Just unplug the wire harness and turn it out, I think it's a 1 inch nut.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one off of a member from this site and mine still does not work. I'm thinking I have another issue with my tach. It works if you cruising around 2000 rpms but soon as I turn on a blinker or headlights it goes crazy. All grounds seem to be fine so I do not know.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one off of a member from this site and mine still does not work. I'm thinking I have another issue with my tach. It works if you cruising around 2000 rpms but soon as I turn on a blinker or headlights it goes crazy. All grounds seem to be fine so I do not know.

have you checked your instrument cluster voltage regulator?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score

Thats what mine was doing before I changed the sensor.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Instrument cluster voltage regulator???? Sounds like that might be the cause of my clusters multiple problems, either that or demonic possession... Where does this little beasty reside?

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the gremlins under the dash ,,, and forcefed i will check and see if i have one on my shelf and give you a call to let you know

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked your instrument cluster voltage regulator?

i may have spoke too soon. after a short search on the subject, i found that the 80-86 cluster has the instrument voltage regulator,and the 87-up does not. i am not certain that this is true but most of the information i have found on here is pretty reliable. the only other thing i can think of it to check all you grounding points. i dont know where they are but i am sure someone else will be able to help you out soon.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old sensor does the same thing. So if I can find the actual problem I think I will have two good tach sensors. I trust the one I bought is good, I just have another issue. I have been on the road lately signing books and have not had time to dig into it. Thanks