T-case grinding

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1987 6.9 idi c6 trans in neutral for about 20 sec go to shift from 2h to 4h slight gear clash, go to shift from 4h to 4l i get a longer clash and grind then i have to pull hard to get it into 4l from n. Am i doing something wrong?

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
I would lube up your linkage.I could not get my truck into 4 Low , grind,grind,grind. lube her up, work it ,no problem. Lack of us is your enemy.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it the trans fluid or seperate? Sorry inexperienced:idiot:

Yes. Lol.

They run automatic transmission fluid but the fill is seperate. You'll have a drain plug and fill plug on the transfer case, usually on the back. NEVER open the drain plug until you get the fill plug out! Many people have drained their case then stripped the fill plug unable to remove it.

Take the fill plug out. Fluid level should be at or just below the fill plug. While you're in there, get a $12 jug of ATF from Walmart and just replace the fluid.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get those goofy drain & fill plugs out, (the ones with 3/8" square female head), my suggestion is visit local hardware store and purchase two of these for replacement.
You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get those goofy drain & fill plugs out, (the ones with 3/8" square female head), my suggestion is visit local hardware store and purchase two of these for replacement.

Didn't realize the stock plugs were NPT. Thanks! I'll be doing this as well!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I whole heartedly agree. ^^^^^^^

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, my batteries are draining, I have heart things about diode bridges, and Volt regulators. Ordered a regulator, but can you get just the diode bridge separate or do you have to buy a new alt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online