T 19 found

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
ok i found a guy that ripped the T19 out of a diesel. he has a pto for it, but no bell housing, or parts with it. just tranny. he wants 250 for it. is this a good deal?? can i pick up all other necessary parts for cheap from a junk yard or napa?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do with the PTO?
I got a couple of bellhousings for our motors. wanna trade?:D

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bellhousing is what is important. A trans itself can be used out of any old gasser pickup truck.

Personally I might give 50 bucks for the trans (sans bellhousing), but only if I needed it.

Think about it,,,, where are you going to get the bellhousing? Off of another diesel trans, one that you can probably get complete for less than 250 bucks.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bellhousing is what is important. A trans itself can be used out of any old gasser pickup truck.

Personally I might give 50 bucks for the trans (sans bellhousing), but only if I needed it.

Think about it,,,, where are you going to get the bellhousing? Off of another diesel trans, one that you can probably get complete for less than 250 bucks.

Yea sounds steep to me too. I have a belhousing and flywheel I might let fo on the low low, I have to round it up though. I think its o my other 6.9 at my buddys house but I will have to check.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
towcat, id trade you a pto for a housing, i dont need the pto. but as roboto says, its pretty steep for the trans only, and it so happends that i dont like to waste money so im not going to take it. back to the search for something local....

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll put it another way. A diesel bellhousing is worth more than the trans, because the bellhousings fail much more often than the transmissions do. And if you don't mind having a lower first gear, you can use a trans out of any old smallblock gasser.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like my T-18 (Smallblock gasser), I like the wide ratio better than the close ratio, plus with the low first gear ratio you could pull 5K While idleing:D .

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
the t 18 from a 150 with the 300 block i can get pretty easily...but the bellhousing and clutch and other stuff is the crap id have to either buy or look in a yard for.

i might be scrapping my dads old pickup

78 150 custom with the 4 speed.

i could take all that stuff and wait on the bell housing right??? or would i need a diesel clutch???

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need a diesel clutch and bellhousing. That trans on your Dad's truck is probably an NP435 but it'll work just fine as long as you don't mind the mechanical linkage. Would cut out the need for a master and slave cyl., which means that you'd save some money. I don't know if the floor pan from the 78 would fit on your truck. Might be sawzall time or looking through your yard for a truck of your vintage with any manual.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like my T-18 (Smallblock gasser), I like the wide ratio better than the close ratio, plus with the low first gear ratio you could pull 5K While idleing:D .

I agree. My old tow truck had the diesel 4 speed and 3.55 gears, you'd about burn the clutch up starting on a hill loaded heavy.

IMO the gearing was set up for the "everyman" that drove their truck empty most of the time.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, having priced PTO's, if the PTO is in good shape, it is probably worth the asking price (although hard to tell what it is, etc.). That seems to be overlooked and if you don't need it, then you don't need it, but they don't come cheap, and you would be getting a T19 for free!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
towcat, id trade you a pto for a housing, i dont need the pto. but as roboto says, its pretty steep for the trans only, and it so happends that i dont like to waste money so im not going to take it. back to the search for something local....

i might be interested in a trade for the pto, i have an extra diesel bell but unfortunatly it dousent have the fork unless one from a gasser would work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online