Switching to Dodge

Yurmoma

Reaction score
Need a little help guys. I am sure these questions have been asked before but any help would be appreciated. I sold the truck in my sig and have decided my next one will be a Dodge, most likely a 2500. Autos are out of the question so which is better an HO or SO? I have driven one 6-speed HO, and it was nice, how is the 5-speed SO? I want about 350-400 rwhp, and reliability, which would be a better starting point? Anything to look out for with 98-02 24vs other then the lift pump and vp44? Thanks for helping a Ford guy out.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
SO vs HO, 5 speed vs 6? More is better IMO. I would also look for a later model to avoid a 53 block. I think the 01.5's and later have 4 wheel discs as opposed to drums in the back. Get a FP gauge asap, maybe even whip up one that you can put on trucks you are looking at so you can see what they are making at idle. Some are trading their's off when the LP and VP are heading south. Something you would want to avoid. Even if you get a good one, if it were me, I'd be putting on something like a FASS back by the tank very shortly after purchasing. After driving several PSD's and Dmax's I sure like going back to my Cummins and making power at low RPM where it belongs. Whitmore knows more about the 24 valve than most on here, (especially me) but with his Edge Comp box, RV 275 injectors, a little turbo work, air box, exhaust and a SBC Con OFE clutch, he's making the power your talking about and it's very reliable. Good luck with your search.

Billysgoat

Rolling Smokeshow
Reaction score
I have an early 01 HO, couple things to look for.

Find an 01.5 with the four wheel discs, it's worth it, I am not happy with the rear drums on mine.

You know about the Lift Pump, here is another option on fuel supply, get you two remaned Holley blues and put one in back by the fuel tank, that's what I have and I can't drop the FP gauge below 11 PSI pulling a grade with the house in tow. The other is for a spare.

Ware the 6th gear synchro, they are known for failing, if you come across one that has a bad synchro remember that it is a complete tranny tear down to replace it :backoff OTOH, just float the gears, don't use that pedal to the left once you get moving and forget about it :thumbsup:

On your power want's, a good free flowing air element, 4' or bigger exhaust, a set of 275's and a Comp box and there ya go. I have a set of DDIII's, BHAF, 5' pipe and a Raptor box (edge EZ clone) I have not been able to put it on the rollers but the consensus is right around 320-350. I can pull the house all day at 80mph running 20-22psi of boost and right around 1000 on egts with 3.54's. The HO's seem to really respond to a larger injector more than the SO's do so keep that in mind.

The 6spd is the way to go if you ask me, that extra gear in there just helps to get things moving faster.

The House=40ft Kountry Aire fiver, 16k empty, truck and camper went over the scales at 23k.

Just my .02 worth, hope it helps

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the consensus. did i spell that right?? anyway, my friend with a 5spd said the gap between 4th and 5th is too tall. After driving it, i realized it. In my 6pd 01' my climin gear and passin gear is 5th, can still do 70 mph 2600r's in 5th. Hopefully one day harold and muddy will be bombing my smoker, so I can leave it in top gear longer :Sly I have the drum brakes on the back, and the heaviest thing I have towed so far was around 9k, and did not have a prob stoppin especially with trailer brakes, exhaust brake is nice to have also. I avg 19-20 around town empty, and pullin worst 16mpg. Remember all stock except wategate mod ($17). I am happy wit it by all means, will never own a gasser again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But who ever the greedy ******* is who is in charge of the fuel prices, needs killin!! I say a OB.net blanket party is in order ;Sweet -cuss

bentwings

Reaction score
My 99 is a 5 spd but I have 4.10 gears and the drop doesn't matter. It is verry easy to drive around town. I'm usually in 5th by 30 mph. The only real bad part of the 5spd is the 5th gear nut can come loose. This fix involves a new output shaft and gears. I think about 400 bucks. I just checked and they are out of stock apparently for a long time. The best thing is not to tow at 1800 rpm. go higher or lower. Not hard with the 4.10. BTW I get 20+ mpg all the time. However I drive like I OWN it haha. Get a 6 spd if you can however and problems go away. Nearly bullit proof.

53 block is fixable in most cases
LP.... **** happens...carry a spare and a few tools.
get a fuel pressure gage...the forgotten gage.
VP 44 plan on it... just like an auto tranny...not if you will have to fix it, just when you have to fix it.
4wd... same thing
get a 1 ton dually like mine and add 1 ton GM rear brake cyl (drums) and have real stopping power. Thanks GM ( 25 bucks tops for this mod)
All in all not a bad list for a truck that will go 1/2 a million miles. At 20 k a year that's 25 years. Probably be riding on the bare frame by then however. haha

bentwings

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya my buddy's fith gear nut backed off. All we did was get a new nut $25 with the brass set screws, a little loc tite and fixed it. Pretty easy to do, especiall when you have a lift at your disposal. ;Sweet

Whit

Reaction score
Alot of good responses so far, I agree that the 6 speed HO and the 373 ratio is great, 6 works great for empty and milage and 5th works great when towing heavy, I havent found a pass yet that 5th gear wouldnt handle when towing my 19,200 backhoe :D If you infact do buy used check the key 3 times to see of any codes, also if no fp gage rig one up and check it b4 you buy...........a vp44 is spendy :eek:

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 spd has a larger diameter output shaft,(the weak link in the 5 spd trans when subjected to high hp/tq application) same thing as everyone else, exhaust,intake,fuel system,injectors,comp box,madd ecm(buddy of mine has it) and if you wanna hop up that i/p, go with a budha power i/p, they are baddass units. may be 1 d or 2 d's in budha, dont remember off hand.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I sure miss my goat. Can't wait to be back in the pilot's seat in another one.

My Y2k truck had the 53 block, 5-speed, and 3.55s and even with 170k miles of pulling a trailer with a box, the truck still ran like a top and didn't give me any problems. Had the i/p replaced at about 160k. I bought the truck used with 140k on it and the truck had a box on it before I bought it and I never had a problem wiht it other than what was posted above. I also got about 17 or 18 in town, 18 to 21 on the highway, and about 16 or so if I was towing.

I sure miss that truck. Anyone want to buy a low mileage Powerstroke? Only thing wrong with it is that it has 2 too many cylinders.

[><]

scrappy

Reaction score
the 6 spd also has a bigger diameter clutch (13") but the clutch is weaker @ high HP but aftermarket is better for the 6'er. trackbar on the 4wds is junk.

Jethro

Reaction score
go with the 6 speed. Mine shifts like crap but won't break! I know that sounds like one hell of a sales pitch!

I just match speeds on shifts and it is like butter. If you jam it into gear it bites back hard!

Just a note:

The 6 speed has an extra gear in the middle. The ratios for (1 and 2) and (5 and 6) in the 6 speed are the same as (1 and 2) and (4 and 5) in the 5 speed.

Like mentioned above, watch the front end and upgrade it when parts fail.

Other than that, those trucks are great.

Jason

Last edited:

harley152

Reaction score
<---got tired of pushing fords so bought dodge and ain't lookin' back---love my dodge and my cummins---nuff said!!!

Jerry

Batman

Reaction score
I converted my 2001 3500 4x4 from an auto to a 6spd and have not looked back. Just don't expect it to shift like a Mustang.

HTH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker