Swapping to IDI turbo from non turbo

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found a great engine for sale that is a factory turbo IDI. I have a 91 f350 that is a non turbo IDI. I need to know how hard and how much it will be to swap it. Please help a I and going to look at it Wednesday. Thanks so much.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
These engines are big and heavy, but relatively easy to swap. Are you swapping the whole engine or just the turbo onto the engine you already have? Either way, it should be a nut and bolt affair. You will need to hammer your fire wall a bit to fit the down pipe as per ATS directions for the turbo install. If the engine is a factory turbo block, it will have slightly different internals but everything on the outside will bolt up just the same. Good luck.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks goose. I am moving soon with a baby in the way do needless to say, I medic a relatively inexpensive swap. This engine came up in a miraculous way so I'm glad you could confirm its a plug and play affair.

I assume as long as I get the down pipe an the y pipe it should be relatively easy to reconnect my exhaust?

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine swaps over, just straight bolt in.
If you get the downpipe off the stock engine, it will take about an 8" piece of 2.5" with a flare on each side to adapt the stock N/A exhaust. Make sure you get the attaching flange on the bottom of the downpipe.
The wiring runs the opposite way around the engine bay. IIRC there was a plug that needed to be changed, Alt maybe, but it's not a big deal, mostly plug and play, grab the turbo engine bay wiring if worried. We used 89 wiring in mine both auto then the manual later.
One of the A/C lines needs to be changed too, High pressure line I think.

When putting the engine in, pull the turbo, or you have to pull the frame side engine mounts and it's still a big PITA, but can be done, still not recommended. Or pull the cab bolts (been explained a few times, search) and shove 6x6s under for a temp body lift.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These idi engines are a bolt in swap providing the engine came from a pickup truck. If the engine came out of a van the drivers side exhaust manifold is differant from the truck engines. also the van oil cooler heareder are differant from the trucks too. So change the oil coolers if the idi engine comes out of a van and you are installing a van ingine in a pickup ytuck. All idi engines atr drilled the same so they will bolt in place no mater 6.9 or 7.3. you just need to know what the engine is going in and coming from. Sometimes the flywheel is differant looking when you have an auto trans swap but they all will directly match up to the torqure converter.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Turbo engine, is it complete in a truck and can it be heard running? If this engine is in the truck can you get all the wiring and so forth that is in the trucks engine bay? Is the turbo truck a standard or auto?

Or is this just a swap of a turbo from where you are getting it and then installing that on your engine?

Are you familiar with or have done engine swaps and do you have a place to do this yourself and the tools to do it? Or are you having this done for you?

Is your truck auto or standard? If auto is it a C6 or E4OD?

If both are automatics and both E4OD I would strongly suggest you get the turbo engine's transmission dip stick and tube as well....

Please try to provide as much detail as possible about both setups so we are better able to provide accurate informative responses....

There are a few details that are being missed because there is not enough information provided, thus small details like Gary pointed out can make or break this swap.

Al

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the truck in getting the engine from is a 1994.5 supposedly. I
The guy seems very knowledgable and says that the engine is a turbo IDI. it currently has a ZF in it.
I have a 91 non turbo IDI with an e4od.
I have been told that this would be a bolt in swap. No crazy wiring stuff and junk because they are both mechanical IDI motors.
I

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, the truck in getting the engine from is a 1994.5 supposedly. I
The guy seems very knowledgable and says that the engine is a turbo IDI. it currently has a ZF in it.
I have a 91 non turbo IDI with an e4od.
I have been told that this would be a bolt in swap. No crazy wiring stuff and junk because they are both mechanical IDI motors.
I

First sorry if I got you nervous it wasn't my intention, I'm only trying to make your swap as smooth and hickup free with good solid info...

so with what you said that's simple enough...it's just where some of the FACTORY harnesses connect. I am not sure on this but because that turbo engine has a glowplug relocation there may...MAY be a different location for the master engine harness plug for GP's...nothiing major at all...it is a direct bolt in no issues there.

There is also a difference if you keep the accessories on the turbo engine as it's a 3G alternator not 1G like you currently have. Again....small detail not a big one.

Those are the subtle differences.

Since you are retaining your E4OD I presume, make sure you keep the spacers for the ring gear/fly wheel from your old engine to install on your replacement.

Truck to truck...bolt in.

BTW....while it's out....NOW is a great time to change that turbo oil cooler o rings and gaskets....it's a perfect time actually! Easy access...coolant will be drained...perfect and while at it, add some petcocks to the block for coolant drains as well!..

Those two simple additions of petcocks makes a nice flush/fluid change for coolant. As well doing that oil cooler pre engine install...means it's done and should be trouble free for many many miles/years of service with no concerns of it calving out in a few months/miles down the road

JM2CW...take or leave the two suggestions....

Al

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the truck in getting the engine from is a 1994.5 supposedly.

This has me a little nervous, why is he calling it a 94.5? I would think a 94.5 would be specifying a powerstroke, especially with a 5sp. I'd think a IDI would just be a 94 turbo or N/A.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn cant tell from that picture. I am under the impression a 1994.5 is a stroker as stated above. I bet someone here can ID it from that picture

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry... I can't id that engine. Its really of poor quality picture. I wouldn't even venture a guess either...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pic is a toss up for IDI or PS...no way to tell from there....go look and get your own pics...and if it has an IP like yours it's IDI if not it isnt simple enough!

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
I think I see the CDR on the driver valve cover. I dont know much about Powerstrokes, but I parted one out last year and I dont really remember it having a CDR on the valve cover where the IDIT does:dunno You sure he didnt mean to say PRE 94.5 and just accidentally left of the "PRE"?LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk