swapping axle - leaf spring question

sootman73

Reaction score
I am swapping rear axles from my brothers truck same axle same ratio just his is in much better condition. what i was thinking is if i took some of his leaf springs and added them to my leaf packs? i think there is enough room on the stock u-bolts to add at least one more? which leaf should i steal from his pack and where should i put it in mine? i have a car for a smooth ride so i dont care how bumpy the truck gets;SweetLOL

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
when I do my dually swap, my old pig is getting 4 of the 5 leafs out of another pack installed for a total of 9 leafs per side in the rear. I know, it'll be rough as hell, but my truck is just what it is....a work truck and not a show truck.

If it were me sootman, I would install the 2 spring from the bottom if I were only doing one....it's less than a 1/2" thick, and the stock size U bolts should you to install it.

I am doing lots of springs to try to eliminate the rear lift blocks all together in the factory setup.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ben, I did this to my truck about a year ago, I took the second leaf (the one right under the long one with the bushings in it) from an F250 Superduty truck and slid it in the same location in my spring packs thus moving everything but the long leaf with the bushings one position down. The ride didn't really get much bumpier.

At the same time I installed an F-Superduty overload leaf under my F350 overload leaf, they have different arch to them (the 1-ton leaf is arched more) so I have the 1-ton leaf contact the pads first, and only with more load does the F-Superduty leaf come into play.

Also I used new U-bolts at the time, and I'd recommend that you do too.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you add springs,consider overloads.
if you want more mains,keep the two long ones at the top stock and put more under those.
by keeping just the two long ones,these can still flex and absorb the bumps.
i took out the second one up,and put two f450 leafs in its place,then used a custom 3 leaf over pack.
i still have my ride quality empty,and have a 6 main/3 over combo.
she takes a nice load.
you need:
new custom length U-bolts.
new custom length center bolts.

since you need new hardware anyway.this is the time to head to the salvage yard and score:
overload perches
at least 1 overload (per side)

don't go through this,and not install an aux.save up until you can do it all at once is my suggestion.

if your on a very limited budget,then:
remove your springs.
separate them.
separate the others.
leave that very bottom flat one alone,and set it aside from the donor.
double up the next three (from the bottom.)-double up just the next two if you want to keep a more factory ride.double up the very top too if you don't care about ride quality at all and want max payload.
install NEW U-bolts and center bolt.-- this cannot safety be avoided.budget for it,or don't do it imho.
good luck sootman.

U-bolts cannot safely be reused because once tightened,the threads becomes stretched.please do not try and reuse them for you safety and others on the road.

just before my dump bed repair/final installation,i added these:

Attachments

• 100_0044_1.jpg
    100_0044_1.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: