Surging? Burst of power??

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. That's why I said it could be a restriction somewhere.
Even if it's cheap and temporary, get a fuel pressure gauge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Where should I install it and how much pressure should I have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually air IS COMPRESSIBLE. Divers use compressed air in the tanks all of the time. Same with aircraft; they compress the air in the cabin so we all don't die at 35,000 feet. The engine in your truck compresses to make it work.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Apples to oranges, Dave. You should know better. Lol

Put it in place of the Schrader valve. Somewhere between 5-7 psi. Main thing is you don't want it to drop to zero.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not apples to oranges, regardless of what it's involved in gasses are always compressible. I think what you're thinking is that since the air compresses it doesn't have the force to allow the injector to pop (i.e. 1900 psi)

I would temporarily put the gauge somewhere where you can see it while you drive and verify you aren't loosing pressure while driving. Even if it means you ziptie it to a windshield wiper because just because you have pressure at idle or while revving in neutral doesn't mean you do while under load.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not apples to oranges, regardless of what it's involved in gasses are always compressible. I think what you're thinking is that since the air compresses it doesn't have the force to allow the injector to pop (i.e. 1900 psi)

I would temporarily put the gauge somewhere where you can see it while you drive and verify you aren't loosing pressure while driving. Even if it means you ziptie it to a windshield wiper because just because you have pressure at idle or while revving in neutral doesn't mean you do while under load.
So basically T it in with the line coming out if the fuel pump and before the filter?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

Yep, I was thinking backwards. Same principle as air in a brake line.
But it's still apples to oranges. Lol Mechanically compressing (ie air compressor) vs liquid trying to compress a gas.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2^^^^^.
When liquid tries to compress air, the liquid will entrain (mix) with the air, in other words, the liquid will not remain in a solid column within whatever the liquid and air is contained in.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if it's cheap and temporary, get a fuel pressure gauge.
I DISAGREE 100%.
get a good liquid filled fuel pressure gauge and permanently mount it on the filter head.
then you have it when youre trying to diagnose.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I DISAGREE 100%.
get a good liquid filled fuel pressure gauge and permanently mount it on the filter head.
And mount it to the outlet for schrader valve? Or on the hose to the IP?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I DISAGREE 100%.
I just mean to quickly see what it's at. Lol but I do agree with that.

You would remove the Schrader.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
The fuel filter leaking is likely not the problem unless the fuel filter is experiencing negative pressure. i.e. the fuel pump can't keep up.

My theory on why the burst of performance occurs is that the entrained air maintains the pressure in the injection line between the IP and the injector. Normally, when the IP rotor passes the outlet port, the pressure in the line immediately drops to 0 because the liquid diesel does not compress and the injector pintle returns to its seat. However, when entrained air is in the line, it will maintain the pressure in the injector line which will keep the injector open until it reaches the injector closing pressure. More fuel gets injected causing the engine to speed up. The centrifugal governor then kicks in and closes the metering valve to match the fuel pedal "demand", and the engine stumbles.

That's my 6.9 cents worth. :)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And mount it to the outlet for schrader valve? Or on the hose to the IP?

pull the fuel heater and plumb it there. anywhere. I would leave the Schrader tho, I usually run a T to my filter to IP line and run it ontop of that on the filter

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score