SUCCESS!....One 6.9 bolted in.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The 6.9 is bolted down in the truck and the 5spd is hooked to the back of it....Just took a little wiggling and grunt work to get it all lined up. Once I got the motor bolts started I just slid the trans up to it slick as **** of a shovel.:D No aligment issues at all with the bolts or dowel pins - must be my robotic drilling prowess....:sly:rotflmao.....If all goes well I should have it making smoke and noise tommorow.;Sweet.....I did find one issue though - I will have to grind a tiny bit off the inside of the t-case where the starter goes in, the lower boss for the 460 starter is a little too high and I can't get my Mitsu starter to go in square, other than that it looks like a good fit. I bought 22ft of 1/0 battery cable today and some lugs/clamps....$138!:eek:....This puppy should start good now.:D....There will be video of the starting or attempted starting...:D:rotflmao The clutch pedal effort feels the same as that in my 91, nothing like the mushy 460 clutch - I never liked the feel of that one.

You must be registered for see images attach

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Looks good!! The front air bags and PTO are small hints as to why this truck is worth the swap to a diesel. Gonna post a youtube clip of startup? Did removing the front d-shaft help access bell housing bolts or is it just out for repair?

edit: nevermind repair statement, saw shaft above yoke in pic.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be a new oil pan, or you have some 20 year use paint for the rest, just kidding, looks good. How common are pto units around there for the zf.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Brand new oil pan, brand new lift pump and brand new CAT batteries this fall in my 91 so I swapped them into the 92 now that I will be selling the other truck in the spring. The oil cooler was dry as a fart so I left it alone. Goofy unhooked the front shaft to make sure it wasn't binding the trans from sliding up the to the engine. This used to be a mobile mechanics truck out in the oil patch, the PTO and pump was there to run a crane on the body. Pat took the body off this truck and put it on a brand new 2009 F550 4x4 cab and chassis with a V10 - 6spd.....A really nice rig too.:sly-Drool

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
As soon as I fix my damn air leak on the supply line to the lift pump I will be able to come down and play some more. Right now the truck is a pretty cranky and unpredictable unit to drive lol. Now I know what the timing advance feels like when it runs out of fuel....WOW! Kinda hard to predict in rush hour traffic lol.

Vicki's car is in the damn shop AGAIN getting some warranty work done, but it still comes out of my pocket!!:mad:-cuss Never again will I EVER own a GM product.....EVER!!

Do you have the anvil for crimping cables together? I went out and bought one last time my ring terminal for the starter went AWOL if we need it.

As soon as I get my truck geared up, I am headed up country to get the sheet metal for the grey truck, so I know it won't go missing from my dually in the meantime...stuff has a habit of walking away up there lol.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Why such small battery cable? Your starter would have been a lot happier on cold mornings with 3/0, but your wallet would have been singing the blues.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yep, soon time to update my avatar too....Sunny and +5C here today, if it stay's like this winter will be over soon. I have an anvil crimper for cables but I'm not going to use it - the new cables will be soldered to the lugs for a solid, corrosion free connection.;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
1/0 is far from small, most tractor trailers only have 2/0 or 3/0 cables. 2/0 was almost $5 a foot....Overkill for a worn old binder...LOL....I have to add up the reciepts but I figure I have $800 spent on this swap for new parts and gauges....I basically got the engine, rad and fuel tank for free in a trade deal.....My next purchase may be a 4" stack, I'm debating the plan for the exhaust install next.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
When I finish my 4" stack install, there may be enough pipe left over for you to put a 4" stack on your truck. I can build you a splitter pipe like I am going to build (a piece of sheet metal with 1/2 of a 4" Y welded to each side)

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I haven't decide yet, funds will dictate...I want my dump deck operational by spring so that will tie up my funds for the next bit.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Just looking at your '92 makes me want to rip off my truck bed for a flatbed dump-Drool and stacks. Really looks like a good work horse.;Sweet Only better with the 6.9. DT466 for the V10 superduty next? I imagine he gets about 6mpg converted to US standard. Nice work.