SUCCESS!....One 6.9 bolted in.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
If you solder them quickly with oxy/acet the insulation is ok and the lug fills in a heartbeat with solder....I have a crimping anvil in my toolbox at work but I only use it for small stuff, big stuff get's soldered.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the methodology, Solder really is the best method as far as I'm concerned. I'd shrinkwrap that as well though.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I guess it's all personal preference, to each his own. My painted triple pillar pod and a-pillar trime look wicked....Came out really nice.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Soldering lugs does work well, I've done it on some big cables (750 mcm) and it works pretty good.

Otherwise, when crimping, use a good conductive paste (Like Thomas & Betts CP8-TB Kopr-Shield). The paste has colloidal copper and flows into the voids between the conductors and creates a much lower resistance connection.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/294000/Colorkey_CP8-TB_Copper_Compound_Cable_Dressing

This stuff works great on battery posts as well...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Is a big gob of regular grease any good? When we did work ont he batteries of the cement trucks at the plant, the mechanic there told me to gob grease on top of every terminal on the batteries. I don't know if it does any good or not, I just did what I was told. I haven't done it to any of my trucks yet.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is a big gob of regular grease any good? When we did work ont he batteries of the cement trucks at the plant, the mechanic there told me to gob grease on top of every terminal on the batteries. I don't know if it does any good or not, I just did what I was told. I haven't done it to any of my trucks yet.

Not good for a quality cable assembly. Regular grease oxidizes over time and dries up and then instead of increasing conductivity, it inhibits it. you want a conductive grease, one that is designed for high heat and long term use. No alox is a good choice for this, it is used for service entrance box wires for high current/ high temp and is rated for 20 year service life, there are a few other conductive greases that work very well out there too. Do not use dielectric grease. it inhibits current flow by it's very nature, it's like putting a resister inline and just like regular grease it will oxidize over time increasing resistance even further.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
What 'cha wiring up with 750's?:eek: Thats big cable. Fine strand or regular THHN/THWN?

Really fine stranded stuff, it was called "motive power cable" and it ran from a control panel on the ground up to the nacelle on the 750 kw wind turbines I used to work on. ;Sweet

We had a hydraulic crimper to put the ends on. The lugs would burn up withing a couple weeks if we didn't use that kopr-shield stuff!

We've ran some THHN stuff like that around here, but we usually bring in an electrical contractor to do that work... I don't want to get my hands that dirty! ;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12