Strange Problem

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
My truck as just lately made starting a tough deal as I have to crank over 5 times now to get it to start and I don't drive it all the time and leaving it set for two or three days or longer it will start right up then die.It takes three cycles of 5 times to get it to run and will start easy if driven all day but will be hard to start when left sit.When you get it going it puffs alittle bit out pipe blue and then runs fine.I'm kinda wondering whats goin on as it only has 114,000 on it and has been babied all it life?

Last edited:

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Just a guess but those are classic symptoms of air intrusion. Even if it was babied it prob needs a return line kit and new olives if it's still got OEM bits. You are losing your fuel system prime when it sits.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Mine did that after turbo install.. Turned out I had broken the main wire to the glowplug module. Check the wiring from the relay, to the relay, etc.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, classic air/fuel leak symptoms. While it sits, air leaks in and fuel drains back toward the tank, leaving air in the fuel filter. The fuel in the IP usually doesn't drain and will let the truck start. Once that small volume of fuel is gone, air is sucked into the IP and it dies. You crank and crank which bleeds the air out of the system and it starts and runs. Short stops aren't enough time to let the system drain down, but leave it sit for a while and you get the same start then die, then crank problem.

Look for wet return lines/caps on the injectors. That's the most common site for air/fuel leaks.

Heath

Last edited: