Strange noise on cold start-up

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning. For the past two times that I've started my truck, it has made a loud popping noise that sounds like it's coming out of the intake. The noise seems to be engine speed and only lasts for 3-4 seconds. It only does it when it's sat overnight or longer, and we've been having temps in the +/- 20 deg range. Haven't yet tried it with the block heater plugged in, as the truck starts great without it. I do have cowl induction and so the noise comes right to me in the cab there and is quite loud. Like I said, a popping noise, fairly low in tone.

I do know that with the heater plugged in, it's never made the noise prior to this.

Thoughts or further questions? Thanks all

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i vote dirty lifter. when was the last time you changed oil?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less than 200 miles ago.

So if the lifter was the issue. Would it just be a case of not pumping up due to cold oil, but after 3-4 seconds of running, it pumps up?

Is it gonna do any damage?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever token apart a hydraulic lifter?
Something is dirty in there or perhaps you used a different type of oil?
I had this issue in one of my gassers, I put a qt of ATF IN IT, ran it for a day and did an oil change, it cleared up.
There are many other types of detergents you can use. And everyone has their way to do it. I would put something in there to clean the lifters and oil passages. Then do another oil change
It won't hurt anything if you take care of it. If you let it go, bad things may happen

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now ive never done this on a diesel engine. But on my 1975 Dodge Power Wagon when I was having trouble with my lifter because it was dirty. I put half a gallon of diesel fuel in the oil and let it idle for 5-10 min. It would clean the crap out of the lifters and in any of the oil valleys.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this afternoon I plugged it in for a couple of hours prior to starting. Started and ran flawlessly. Am considering a possible change in the weight of the oil I use.

Or I could just use the block heater for what it's designed for LOL

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what you can try. Before your next oil change, add a bottle of seafoam to engine and run for 30 minutes under normal load. Drain oil, change filter, and add your favorite oil. If noise goes away, you had a sticky lifter that seafoam freed up. If not, you probably have a worn lifter with increased tolerances. Once hydraulic lifters wear out, they no longer keep their prime when engine sets. Thus, when you start engine, you may hear a wuffing sound from intake until oil pressure pumps up worn lifter.
I had the same symptoms with my truck along with a hot idle lifter tick. Replaced lifters when changing HG's and all is well ;Sweet.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Seems like maybe it's time to run a treatment of Auto-RX. I've heard a lot of good about that stuff on this forum.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another day, another start cycle:

Ambient temp: 35 deg. F

Glow plug function: As Ford intended

Starting results: Completely normal; nothing out of the ordinary observed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828