Strange junkyard find...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I was up the local u pull it today and found a 7.3 with a ZF...but the ZF was long gone and the top end of the motor (what i wanted, injectors lines and such) were also gone. but then i seen something really strange...it looked like a push rod cam right through the valve cover on the driver side towards the front. someone put a *** of paper towel to i guess stop the oil leak so i pulled it out and saw the hole...

cookoo :dunno

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I too have seen one of these engines shoot a push rod through the hood. In the case I witnessed the rocker broke in mid throw and the push rod was slung through the valve cover and into the hood.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over rev on a downhill will send a pushrod thru the valve cover. Usaully there is more damage like broken valve springs etc.
Back when everyone was pulling with these motors I saw a few with launched pushrods. Usually in a town at the bottom of a long grade.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If something happens to a valve, it can hang up, and allow a push rod to come out from under the rocker. That's what usually happens in the case of an over rev.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the one overwhelming negative I see with the IDI motors. I know cavitation with the 7.3 is bad but I honestly think this is a more common problem. So what is it going to take to get the valvetrain on these motors bulletproof?

Some thoughts.
Stiffer valve springs
Roller rockers
Better valve spring retainers
Improved valve guide lubrication

Anyone ever ventured out into this realm? I'd be curious to know what you found if so.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the one overwhelming negative I see with the IDI motors. I know cavitation with the 7.3 is bad but I honestly think this is a more common problem. So what is it going to take to get the valvetrain on these motors bulletproof?
If you drive your truck with any care and attention to your gauges, the valvetrain is not a issue. All the above incidents are from drivers who don't pay attention to their trucks whatsoever.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With nearly a million combined miles on my 3 IDI trucks the only valve train issues I had were some of the 6.9 rocker pivot failures. Once I installed 7.3 style rockers I never had a problem again.
Like Towcat said Most of the problems are drivers who don't pay attention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance